Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Croft
    Valiant
    • Feb 2024

📺 TV Fallout v halo

If you are a fan of both games, how did you like the shows? I feel like Fallout really did well in comparison to other video game shoes. It wasn't perfect, but damn, they followed a lot from the games and really made a huge improvement of player bases in several Fallout games. Halo, on the other hand, broke a cardinal rule by having Chief remove his helmet and show his face (and his butt, and NO ONE signed up for that). Also, don't get me started on what has happened with the Witcher series. Also, do you think the success of Fallout will change how these Hollywood types ruin great gaming lore, or is it a one-off?
    Last edited by Mr Croft; 04-28-2024, 11:11 PM.
  • The Grimace
    Valiant
    • Mar 2024

I'm six episodes out of eight into Fallout and enjoying it a lot. It feels like there was a lot of attention to detail to the sets and props with easter eggs hidden in plain sight for those who woukd recognize them.

Story-wise, it feels like it belongs in the Fallout universe. Interesting characters round out the mix well. The gore is a bit too much for me, but the games have plenty of it too... Just not so realistic.

Honestly, it's one of the best adaptionsadaptions from game to show I've seen in recent memory.

I would like to comment on Halo, but I've never played any games in its series, so the show was at the bottom of my priority list. :(

Comment

• Kustom
      • Jan 2024

Yeah.. for some reason I kept watching Halo through season 2. The drama and character development went way out of bounds too often. Not enough Master Chief doing Master Chief shit.. didn't even have his armor on most of the time. The POV is the world that events are happening in, not the POV of the protagonist like in the games. The show is so far off canon it's really only Halo by name.

I feel like this could've been much better as animation, maybe.

Fallout on the other hand was pretty fun. I think they captured the mood of the games well. Tons of easter eggs and the characters weren't annoying. It's sitting right up there with The Last of Us as a benchmark for video game adaptations.

Comment

• Kustom
        • Jan 2024

Paramount canceled Halo and rightfully so. There's rumors of it maybe ending up with another studio but I kind of hope not.

Looking forward to season 2 of Fallout, though.

Comment

• Destian
          Valiant
          • Jan 2024

I think the problem they ran into with Halo was that they didn't know how to write Master Chief as we know him without needing enough of an arc that he was still the protagonist and not a badass mentor character.

I also don't know the Halo lore well enough, but I always thought Spartans basically WERE their suits, like you can remove the helmet, but there's so much augmentation of the body that they can't remove, though I could obviously be mistaken.

Comment

• The Grimace
            Valiant
            • Mar 2024

The Halo series sounds like such a crash and burn because of how it was handled. It has a similar vibe as the Borderlands movie.

Comment

• Selbaek
              The Hero's Legend
              Administrator
              • Jan 2024

I actually liked Halo season 1. I liked its unique take on the story and how they implemented lore-based things into this new canon. I never got around to season 2, but I intend to!

I never really played any Fallout games. Those types of games don't really grab me, so I never really made time for the show.

If Fallout is having success following the lore, and The Last of Us is having a lot of its success by following the major story beats but condensing/changing things for the sake of time, then hopefully, if a studio picks up Halo, they can course correct for the right amount of action if what Kustom is saying about season 2 is true. I don't want them to reboot it, but I would love for them to give the writers a chance to put in more action sequences that match the vibe from the games.

Comment

• The Grimace
                Valiant
                • Mar 2024

I absolutely love the Fallout series, but it's for very specific reasons. I lose myself in exploration in Fallout and it feels so satisfying, but I don't get that same level of satisfaction when playing Elder Scrolls. There's something about it that activates my OCD tendencies to their maximum- gotta search EVERY drawer to maybe find that cool little easter egg! Fill my pockets to full with potentially every high ticket expensive item for a currency I will mostly never use towards anything!! Who care if I'm going to use it, I like seeing the number go up!!!

The story for Fallout is often just a nice bonus to go along with the urban explorer vibe.

But for some reason, I just don't get that same satisfaction from Elder Scrolls, despite them being in the same engine and being very similar games mechanically. The "exploration" mechanics are easier for me to get into when there's a real world link involved, and Fallout games have the allure of being based on existing places. It's thrilling seeing post apocalyptic variations of places that exist in the real world.

Fallout 3 has "the Pitt," the world's grungy downtrodden version of Pittsburgh. After centuries of nuclear fallout, the metropolis has become a slaver's paradise. Well, when you drive into Pittsburgh casually, people enter the city from the Liberty Bridge- a huge bridge jutting out from the nearby mountain, and as you leave the tunnel, drivers see the city materialize in all its glory. It's breathtaking. In the Pitt, you enter the same way- but you're walking across the bridge to get to the settlement, and the entire bridge is just full of land mines and various traps to deter slaves from leaving. It's a really fascinating vision, taking one of the coolest parts of Pittsburgh and turning it on its head to make the place interesting narratively and mechanically. Seeing how Fallout can do this with locations is a big part of the lure of the series for me.

Part of the enjoyment from the TV series came from me trying to figure out where in the country the plot was taking place.

Comment

Working...