Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Nobuo Uematsu announces retirement

Nobuo Uematsu, the legendary composer known for his work on the Final Fantasy series, has announced his retirement from composing full game soundtracks after completing his work on Fantasian Neo Dimension. Over his 38-year career, Uematsu has contributed to 21 Final Fantasy games, leaving a significant impact on video game music. He is renowned for his ability to convey deep emotions through his compositions, which have become iconic within the gaming community.https://Twitter.com/Fantasian_EN/status/1846128890856800462Uematsu's decision to retire from full game soundtracks stems from both physical and mental considerations. He has expressed that he no longer feels he has the strength to undertake

Considering his age and scaling back of his projects over the last few years, this isn't a surprise. Those are going to be some big shoes to fill, though. I'm grateful for the impact his music has left.
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

While Fantasian Neo Dimension marks his last full project, Uematsu remains open to working on smaller projects or individual pieces in the future.
    He has mentioned this once already, I believe back when Fantasian released its final chapter on Apple Arcade. It seems he's just reiterating his stance from I think last year or year before. He deserves to completely retire, honestly, but when your passion for music is as strong as his, you never truly retire!

Comment

• Althena
      The Goddess
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

A sad bookend to https://valiantgamers.com/forum/vide...ole-game-again

Comment

• Selbaek
        The Hero's Legend
        Administrator
        • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Althena
        Ah, by "last year or year before" I of course meant "earlier this year"

Comment

• The Grimace
          Valiant
          • Mar 2024

I'm sad we won't have more games with his personal handiwork, but he deserves to be able to safely retire.

The game industry isn't hurting for great musicians right now and we can still look forward to tons of great music in the future. In terms of Final Fantasy, we're in safe hands with Soken and other in-house composers. FFXVI's OST kicks ass and has a bunch of homage to Final Fantasy 1 in specific.

Uematsu already knows how much of an impact he has made on music. He has been able to interact with fans across the world who enjoy his songs. Not all composers get to see their contributions appreciated in their lifetime, so I'm very glad in this instance.

Thanks for the memories, Uematsu. :)

Comment

Working...