Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Grimace
    Valiant
    • Mar 2024

Talking food!

Anybody come across any food worth talking about? Food you like, food you hate, food you never expected.

I consider myself to be a fan of root beer and like to try out different variations when I have the opportunity. This can spill over into other pops too- there are lots of strange new flavors coming out this year. Dr. Pepper is gonna have a coconut flavor, and Pepsi's already selling some variations with hints of Peach and Lime flavors.

We recently got an Aldi here and I am continually impressed by the quality of the groceries despite how cheap they are to buy. I think I get a majority of my frozen foods there now.

god I'm hungry right now

• Wandervox
    Valiant
    • Feb 2024

Actually just tried the coconut cream Dr. P and... well, it's exactly as advertised. Because I hate it. XD
    Very much dislike coconut but, was offered a sip and... it's difficult to describe. Best I've got: Imagine Dr. P as a solid. Spread coconut oil across the top. Take a bite. That is EXACTLY the taste. Somehow, it doesn't mix. You can focus on either, and flavor is there. It's such a strange sensation.

On the subject of soda, Althena recently got me fiending for some Jupiña and Iron Beer. If you haven't tried the former, do yourself the favor and give it a shot. Imagine wringing a slightly overripe pineapple into a can, carbonating the liquid, and adding enough sugar to make a hummingbird gag. The latter is like someone tinkered with root beer just a little too much, and ended up with something entirely different but also amazing. Trust me on these. Though, you'll probably have to hunt down an ethnic grocer. They're very much imports, the both of them.

Comment

• Random Encounter
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by The Grimace
      Anybody come across any food worth talking about? Food you like, food you hate, food you never expected.

I consider myself to be a fan of root beer and like to try out different variations when I have the opportunity. This can spill over into other pops too- there are lots of strange new flavors coming out this year. Dr. Pepper is gonna have a coconut flavor, and Pepsi's already selling some variations with hints of Peach and Lime flavors.

We recently got an Aldi here and I am continually impressed by the quality of the groceries despite how cheap they are to buy. I think I get a majority of my frozen foods there now.

god I'm hungry right now
      We also got an Aldi about half an hour from here a few months back. I was really impressed with the quality of their products and the price, but it's only been more recently that you could actually go in and shop without a huge crowd. Now that it's manageable to get through and not he mobbed, it's quite nice!

Comment

• Althena
        The Goddess
        Administrator
        • Jan 2024

Laughs at at all y'all in Trader Joe's

Except, you can't get Jupiña at Trader Joe's.

Comment

• Althena
          The Goddess
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

Double post to add something constructive:

I really *do* love Trader Joe's- Destian and I love to go there, the always have interesting and unique items, things that are great to cook with, a fantastic frozen section, and the prices are pretty decent! We have an Aldi, but I don't feel compelled the go there often.

I honestly don't drink much soda these days, although I will never forget my first Jupiña. I'm more of a seltzer girl, and am always looking for new brand suggestions to try. I like Polar (the limited seasonal flavors are tasty), Canada Dry (mango peach!), and when I'm feeling fancy, Waterloo.

Comment

• The Grimace
            Valiant
            • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Wandervox
            Actually just tried the coconut cream Dr. P and... well, it's exactly as advertised. Because I hate it. XD
            Very much dislike coconut but, was offered a sip and... it's difficult to describe. Best I've got: Imagine Dr. P as a solid. Spread coconut oil across the top. Take a bite. That is EXACTLY the taste. Somehow, it doesn't mix. You can focus on either, and flavor is there. It's such a strange sensation.

On the subject of soda, Althena recently got me fiending for some Jupiña and Iron Beer. If you haven't tried the former, do yourself the favor and give it a shot. Imagine wringing a slightly overripe pineapple into a can, carbonating the liquid, and adding enough sugar to make a hummingbird gag. The latter is like someone tinkered with root beer just a little too much, and ended up with something entirely different but also amazing. Trust me on these. Though, you'll probably have to hunt down an ethnic grocer. They're very much imports, the both of them.
            Can't say I'm too surprised by the Dr. Pepper not being great, but that's okay. As long as they keep making the Strawberries and Creme variety, I'll be thrilled.

I don't think Jupina is for me because I'm not big on pineapple, but you definitely have my attention with the Iron Beer. Sounds delicious!

Comment

• The Grimace
              Valiant
              • Mar 2024

I like to get seltzers and sparkling waters periodically because I adore carbonation but sometimes want to limit my sugar intake. I like Strawberry Bubly sometimes, or I'll keep it simple with a plain or lemon-flavored Bubly or LaCroix.

I'm gonna be in trouble for the next month, thanks to XIV's Mountain Dew campaign. I just bought eight Rolling Thunder Mtn. Dews yesterday to stock up and I'll gradually be going through these and buying more. Atleast this is more up my alley than the previous Butterfinger campaign... I love junk food and sugary drinks, but I'm not big on regular candy.

Comment

• Skunkworks
                Valiant
                • Feb 2024

Binging with Babish recently released an ramen review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1S6...linaryUniverse) where 46 instant ramens were put through a taste test. I won't spoil the episode, but I will be ordering some of the higher scoring brands. My passion for this cheap, instant meal extends far beyond the basic consumption. I especially enjoy improving ramen with the addition of other foods. For quite some time, I've added egg, tofu, sesame oil, fish sauce, vegetables and sriracha. Recently I've branched out and tried more adventurous additions such as cream of mushroom soup, american cheese (not my favorite), bok choy, and psudeo-lo mein.

(Reposted from a thread - I don't know why I didn't post in the food thread initially)

Comment

• Random Encounter
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2024

Ramen is so good. I usually poach some eggs in mine and throw in some green onions. I keep fish sauce and sesame oil around for fried rice but never used it in my ramen. I'll try that out!

Comment

• Althena
                    The Goddess
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2024

I had a dream last night I was cooking a huge Italian feast for all of you in the Valiant Gamers community. It was glorious . What a good dream! Wish I could feasibly make that happen!
                    ​​​

Comment

• Skunkworks
                      Valiant
                      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Althena
                      I had a dream last night I was cooking a huge Italian feast for all of you in the Valiant Gamers community. It was glorious . What a good dream! Wish I could feasibly make that happen!
                      ​​
                      I didn’t realize that I had a terrible concept of Italian food until I was an adult. I only knew about pasta and pizza. I still don’t have the best idea of what Italian food is. I would love to try more of the seafood based dishes.

Comment

• The Grimace
                        Valiant
                        • Mar 2024

Please do not suck on Leonardo's nozzle. He likes it a little too much.
                        Last edited by The Grimace; 08-14-2024, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• The Grimace
                          Valiant
                          • Mar 2024

oh god why is it appearing so big I hate computers

e: oh thank god I fixed it.
                          Last edited by The Grimace; 08-14-2024, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Cancer Kills
                            My Team Doesn't
                            Valiant
                            • Jan 2024

I love Trader Joe's and that is one of my favorite things about coming to Philly. Use to have one near the place outside of Dallas but alas, Pensacola doesn't have a Trader Joe's, they have Ever'man Co-op. Ever'man is like if Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods banged and consumed alcohol the entire pregnancy.

In terms of food, Angelo's pizza, if you're ever in Italian Market neighborhood Philly is 1000000% worth the trip and the 45-90 minute wait. Also, It is cash and takeout only. Supposed they have one of the best cheesesteaks but that will be next time I go down there :)

Tried to post a picture here but it has too many pixels for the server apparently :) Here's a link to the pizza in imgur: https://i.imgur.com/m4NWkcm.jpeg

Comment

• Kustom
                              • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Cancer Kills
                              I love Trader Joe's and that is one of my favorite things about coming to Philly. Use to have one near the place outside of Dallas but alas, Pensacola doesn't have a Trader Joe's, they have Ever'man Co-op. Ever'man is like if Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods banged and consumed alcohol the entire pregnancy.

My wife loves TJs. I generally give it a 9/10 because they always seem to not stock about 10% of the things they say they have. I don't just mean out of stock, though. I mean I'll actually show employees something they advertise on my phone and the employee will go "Oh shit I wish we had that here I'd buy the shit out of that". Pretty cool store, though.

Sucks that P-cola doesn't have one, maybe one day!

I'll have to check out this Ever'man place.

Comment

Working...