• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Althena
    The Goddess
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

'Sovereign market,' first of its kind in Maine, opens

Unlike many farmers markets, the Stockholm Sovereign Market is unregulated. Aroostook County vendors sell baked goods, produce, dog treats, raw milk, maple syrup, eggs and herd shares — all of which is produced at home.

...I don't really know how to feel about this doubt. I guess if you go you have to sign a waiver, which makes sense. I know my grandmother used to sell apple pies to a restaurant for them to resell, but it's a whole different world now than it was then.
  • Skunkworks
    Valiant
    • Feb 2024

When I picture the target audience for this market, I imagine someone strolling through a traditional farmer's market and thinking, "This is lovely, but what if it had zero food safety regulations and felt more like a drug deal?"

Comment

• Kustom
      • Jan 2024

Very interesting.

Honestly, I see this like swimming at an unguarded beach. You have to assume the risk if you want to partake.

Wonder how long until bad actors find a way into this kind of thing.

Comment

• Skunkworks
        Valiant
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Kustom
        Very interesting.

Honestly, I see this like swimming at an unguarded beach. You have to assume the risk if you want to partake.

Wonder how long until bad actors find a way into this kind of thing.
        Swimming at an unguarded beach is a risk to participant. Unsafe food is a risk to an unknown group of people. Items could be shared with children, friends, coworkers, etc without their consent.

Comment

• Kustom
          • Jan 2024

Ok. Well beyond the debate of the food being safe or not, I'll commend them on what seems like their attempt to solve the "food desert" problem that a lot of rural and even urban areas face. The community seems rather tight knit and wants to take care of its own. The herd sharing part seems like a big risk, though.

Comment

Working...