Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

RevisionOS, a modified Windows 11 experience

ReviOS aspires to re-create what Windows as an operating system should have been - easy and simple. With the main audience being gamers, power-users and enthusiasts, we understand that performance, speed and low latency is obligatory, which is why great effort has been invested into making ReviOS a capable, efficient yet private operating system. Being naturally light on resources, footprint and size it also comes in as a great fit for low-end systems

I came across this seeing a discussion on another website. This isn't the first custom version of Windows 11 that I've seen (that goes to Tiny11) it does seem incredibly robust and bespoke. A lot of the updates are in place to allow 11 to run on non-supported hardware, disable privacy-infringing options, and prevent Windows from installing troves of shovelware with every major update. Which sounds convenient, but I also worry about the security implications of allowing third parties to hack up the underlying OS.

Anyone else have any experience with this or other solutions?
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

The last time I ran something like this, it was an attempt to implement a third party app and learn to utilize a traditional start menu in Windows 8, prior to the 8.1 major update. I only tried it out because of how many end users at my work complained about the weird and sudden change to the desktop design, which has otherwise been the same for Windows for years. The third party software worked well enough, but it caused other performance issues which was deemed a dealbreaker. We wound up just installing Windows 7 for the guy.

Prior to that, I had a modified version of Windows XP, though to be completely honest I think it was more of an asset change because there was no functional difference. It just made it look different, like a custom theme, which I thought was cool at the time.

Given my work, I feel like I'd be dulling my senses and doing myself a disservice using a modified version of any OS. I gotta keep my support game as on-point and sharp as I can, so I make myself stick with the vanilla experience. That being said, I would love to see some of this in action, or some screenshots from anyone that would use this.

Comment

• Random Encounter
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

I definitely wouldn't use something like this as my daily driver. But with how rife Windows 11 has come with advertising and privacy-infringing updates, it's either a solution like this or moving to Linux. I have an old laptop that would probably be a good test candidate for this, I'll get it on there and report what I find.

Comment

• Wandervox
        Valiant
        • Feb 2024

(Admittedly speaking from second-hand experiences,) a lot of the pared-down and minimalist Win10 and 11 will leave out a lot of options and libraries which most Windows PC games rely on for gaming purposes. I'm assuming those issues are easy to fix by some sort of update or different version/revision, but that seems to be an opinion based on how 'extraneous' certain mods consider anything other than bits and bobs which are technically optional. Not all mods do this but, I'd still worry about that sort of thing affecting things outside of gaming.

That said, I GREATLY appreciated having a copy of "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs" back in the XP days. MS sourced, first-party WinXP, butchered within an inch of its life, near end-of-life, and intended for business purposes, but still 99% functional for what the vast majority of people would want or need... AND providing beneficially patched updates which don't embed any kind of bloat or add gigabytes upon gigabytes of annoying trash behind. Loved that, and I'd love to see something like that for Win11. I'm not expecting anything like that from these modded versions but, hope springs eternal.

Comment

Working...