Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skunkworks
    Valiant
    • Feb 2024

What's your opinion of Smart Glasses?

A friend recently got a pair of Rayban Meta glasses (https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/electron.../8056597769440). For those who are unfamiliar, Rayban advertises this product as smart glasses which can record audio and video, control phone functions with voice commands. I believe it has an AI component, but I haven't researched further. They come in prescription-len and sunglass versions with frames starting at ~$300. Since seeing them, I've thought about them often.

In person, it is reminiscent of the first time I saw someone using Google Glass. Unlike Google Glass, this product is consumer-affordable and will be followed by lower-cost models. They look passable as regular glasses with slightly thicker arms. In the decade since Glass, technology has dramatically improved - battery life, camera fidelity, and connectivity are far superior. Privacy concerns remain the same and have become more dire in certain ways. Today, with AI facial search engines, almost anyone's full name and location can be obtained from a short video.

My friend works in a job where he may often need video proof to defend his interest in an argument (not a cop though). I think there are cases where technology can provide safety, agency, and accountability. For him, it is useful to have a POV video at the push of a button. Rationally, I know this isn't very different than producing a cell phone and recording an interaction, but it feels so much different emotionally. I would love to hear other people's reactions.

• Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

I'm concerned with the privacy and security implications these devices may have. I realize privacy is all but effectively gone with the proliferation of smart phones, but the discreet nature of these glasses is going to present some interesting challenges going forward for individuals, businesses, and governments alike.

That said, the AI and augmented reality aspect portion of these products are going to be a big boon to certain people, like tourists in a new area or people with disabilities. Like you said, those who work in professions where accountability is required, this would provide it. I'm skeptical of the tech sector's ability to address the concerns cited above, but I think it's only a matter of time before these devices get cheaper and more accessible to consumers. Here's to hoping we get it right.

Comment

• The Grimace
      Valiant
      • Mar 2024

I wish I had more opinion on this sort of technology, but for now I'm just clueless. Once (or if ever) it becomes widespread, I'll have a better idea. The technological capabilities are interesting, but when it comes to how expensive new tech like this usually is, I tend to keep prospects low. Until it becomes readily available even in the boonies, it's like a fantasy novelty I'll never see.

Comment

• Destian
        Valiant
        • Jan 2024

I feel like smart glasses are invariably the future, but I just feel a huge "ick" trusting a company like Meta.

And maybe that's the problem: I can't think of a company I DO trust to create a product like this and not abuse it.

Comment

• Kustom
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Destian
          I feel like smart glasses are invariably the future, but I just feel a huge "ick" trusting a company like Meta.

And maybe that's the problem: I can't think of a company I DO trust to create a product like this and not abuse it.
          I hope Meta makes an attempt and fails catastrophically like they did with the metaverse VR shit.

Comment

• Skunkworks
            Valiant
            • Feb 2024

I recently saw someone with a pair of Amazon Echo Frames (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D325266P/) in the wild. If you're not familiar, the big take-aways are that they have microphones and bone conducting speakers in the arms, but do not have cameras. I think the idea is that you could have a verbal AI (Alexa) in your ear at all times. I believe Amazon is preparing for a major echo update which makes Alexa far more capable that current iteration, but will come with a subscription. When I asked about the Echo Frames, the wearer told me that they just used them as headphones.

Comment

Working...