Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skunkworks
    Valiant
    • Feb 2024

Internet Archive loses appeal vs publishers

If you haven't been following this story, Internet Archive was sued for a practice of operating a digital library. In this setup, each 'copy' of a book was a scanned that corresponded to a physical book in IA control. No more digital lent copies existed than their physical books. Publishers were obviously unhappy with this practice and took IA to court.

I think this has large implication, not only for the work that internet archive does, but also the right of end users with their physical media.

• Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

This is bad on all kinds of levels. The amount of media the IA has in its possession, especially related to our interests, is immense. If something happens to them, we are going to lose a lot of things that will be difficult or even impossible to replace. I'm surprised they've gone as long as they have without any kind of legal challenge.
    Last edited by Random Encounter; 09-05-2024, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Selbaek
      The Hero's Legend
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

Here goes the first domino! I guess it might be time to buy in for some extra hard drives and get those disc-based console game collections before it's too late.

Comment

Working...