Elgato releases two new capture devices today.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Elgato releases two new capture devices today.

Elgato released their new line of capture devices today. An internal PCIe capture card called the "4K Pro" and an external USB 3 (Type-C) called "4K X."

I own the 4K60 Pro, which is the lesser equivalent of the new 4K Pro. The main difference is that the HDMI ports are 2.0 on the older 4K60 Pro, and 2.1 on the newer 4K Pro. The 4K Pro has the capability of passing through up to 8K60, however it still only captures up to 4K60 like the 4K60 Pro. What's interesting to me is that in the comparison portion of the page, they compare it to two external devices, but not the equivalent older sibling internal card.

It looks like they only had a 1080p external capture device in the HD60 X prior to this new 4K X device. It's really nice that there is finally an external 4K option, however it only uses USB 3, limiting the throughput to 10Gbps compared to HDMI 2.1's native 48Gbps throughput. Furthermore, while it's utilizing HDMI 2.1, it doesn't look like the 4K X supports passing through 8K at all. The best it provides on the specs is 4K144 or 1080p60. The 1080p60 passthrough really confuses me, because it can capture up to 1080p244... very peculiar specs on this thing.

Today was the first time I had even heard they had new capture devices in the works. It was a complete surprise, though I don't think I see a need to replace what I have for the minimal upgrades, personally. Thoughts?

• Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Those price points are pretty high, but I can attest to the build quality of Elgato's products. If you do enough streaming and/or video capture, I would say the cost is totally justified.

Comment

• Selbaek
      The Hero's Legend
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

EposVox explains the differences much better than Elgato's site does. Seems it's got a lot more to it than I thought, however for my uses I wouldn't take advantage of them. Yet.

Comment

• Althena
        The Goddess
        Administrator
        • Jan 2024

I don't stream often, but when I do, I love my Elgato! 😺

Comment

• Selbaek
          The Hero's Legend
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

I stand corrected! I don't think it's quite worth the money to upgrade from what I have at the moment, but man that ~2 frame delay from hardware to OBS sounds really freaken nice! The 4K Pro has Sub 2 frame delay, that's amazing!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	64
Size:	996.6 KB
ID:	484

Comment

Working...