• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Althena
    The Goddess
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Destian
    Where's the "Time Machine" app that can change my surroundings using AR?
    Sorry, Apple already has a Time Machine.

Comment

• Wandervox
      Valiant
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Destian
      I'm honestly sad that the Map app for this wasn't what I described earlier. There's so much potential for AR to do some seriously, SERIOUSLY cool stuff, but we're getting none of it.
      Where's the "Time Machine" app that can change my surroundings using AR? Like I go stand on a city street, activate the program, and it rerenders the world around me to look like a cyber city out of Bladerunner or something like that
      THIS. This is the kind of thing I've been waiting for since the early days of AR. Maybe less fantastical. (Not discounting your idea, Destian . I'm getting there -- hear me out.) XD

Current GPS is insanely accurate (unless you're one of the unlucky folks to live in the Shire or some shit, where most signals, terrestrial or otherwise, drop for no discernable reason). Modern satellites can find you a billion leagues under the sea while telling you that you're moving at 380 mph. There's no reason a given device wouldn't have the ability to keep a GPS sensor running in the background. God knows literally every other device under the sun can, these days, from cheap hobby computers space shuttles.
      What's stopping Apple Vision from telling you how to get somewhere in real time with clear visuals that beat out GPS? Giving you little arrows, coupled with speed limit info, miles per gallon info, gas station locations and current gas prices, traffic status, events like traffic stops, toll prices, and other such along the way? Bus routes with info like how much fare costs, average time of departure and arrival, the best stop to get off at in order to get where you're going? Best biking routes, info on where there are bike lanes, potential shortcuts, etc. Walking routes based on distance, exercise goals you can meet while you're at it? The extremely helpful stuff, opt-in stuff like shortcuts, all that sort of thing? Why hasn't this been done?
      Emergency stuff like, if you lose your pet and it's chipped, you could potentially find them in minutes. Military applications don't even need to be mentioned but, military and law enforcement training exercises. Go to a given area with a pair of 'fake' handcuffs, or fully disabled firearms. No chance of accidents. Just imagined interactions that are far less screw uppable. No need to spent hundreds of thousands on equipment to train pilots inside a fake cockpit. 'Future proof' ways to train a lot of people to do a lot of jobs without much effort. Learn to fly planes, mix drinks, use firearms, repair PCs, anything.

Coming back to your idea, Destian, it's ENTIRELY realistic for AR to be used in similar fashion. Imagine the benefits, not just for personal entertainment like cruising through an imagined Puerto Rico in 2077, going to a gladitorial arena event at the local basketball arena, or chilling in the Dragonship Destiny, but also, think of the applications for stuff like school field trips. Literally see the world what it was like at a given location in the 1800s.

Absolutely zero reason stuff like that couldn't be done. I'm not sure why things like these are missed marks but, it's all entirely doable with modern tech. As you said, damn shame. So many missed opportunities. :\
      Last edited by Wandervox; 05-17-2024, 04:32 PM. Reason: reorganized my thoughts. Hooray, ADHD

Comment

• Destian
        Valiant
        • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Wandervox
        What's stopping Apple Vision from telling you how to get somewhere in real time with clear visuals that beat out GPS? Giving you little arrows, coupled with speed limit info, miles per gallon info, gas station locations and current gas prices, traffic status, events like traffic stops, toll prices, and other such along the way? Bus routes with info like how much fare costs, average time of departure and arrival, the best stop to get off at in order to get where you're going? Best biking routes, info on where there are bike lanes, potential shortcuts, etc. Walking routes based on distance, exercise goals you can meet while you're at it? The extremely helpful stuff, opt-in stuff like shortcuts, all that sort of thing? Why hasn't this been done?
        Emergency stuff like, if you lose your pet and it's chipped, you could potentially find them in minutes. Military applications don't even need to be mentioned but, military and law enforcement training exercises. Go to a given area with a pair of 'fake' handcuffs, or fully disabled firearms. No chance of accidents. Just imagined interactions that are far less screw uppable. No need to spent hundreds of thousands on equipment to train pilots inside a fake cockpit. 'Future proof' ways to train a lot of people to do a lot of jobs without much effort. Learn to fly planes, mix drinks, use firearms, repair PCs, anything.
        This right here is the kind of stuff I'd expect from the AVP if Jobs were still alive: if you can imagine it, he would've made it a reality.

Like you said, imagine if your AVP checked your daily commute and told you which type of transportation you should get on that morning based on delays: maybe take the train because the bus will get stuck behind a traffic accident delay. It could tell you how much time you had to leave in the morning and, if traffic conditions hold, still make it to work on time, and this would be based upon historical traffic patterns so if there's a bridge that isn't backed up now but always backs up 15 mins from now, your AVP is factoring that into the calculation.

And then, the AVP could be conferring with Apple's network to ensure it's not sending TOO many people to the train on any given day (because that could absolutely be a problem). We'd be effectively rerouting people the same way large scale fiber networks reroute data when a link between two devices becomes too congested...

Comment

Working...