• Show
Clear All
  • Destian
    Valiant
    • Jan 2024

The Apple Vision Pro

Why Tim Cook Is Going All In on the Apple Vision Pro | Vanity Fair

I fully believe AR will be the future, after a few improvements:
    1. It weighs the same as my glasses: I'm a big, beefy dude and even I succumb to neck strain when wearing a heavier headset for an extended period of time.
    2. It looks the same as my glasses: The nice thing about a phone is that I can put it in my pocket and only have it visible when I choose. Imagine walking down the street wearing $3,500 on your face and having no feasible way to conceal this fact aside from taking it off, stuffing the whole thing in a purse or large pocket, and putting it back on again later, which defeats the whole point. Also, I'd feel silly as all hell wearing this in a restaurant.
    3. It costs the same as a phone: This price point is simply far too high, meant to be bought only by hardcore tech enthusiasts.
    Again, I agree that AR is the future, but not until the aforementioned conditions are met. What do other folks think?
  • Cancer Kills
    My Team Doesn't
    Valiant
    • Jan 2024

When this was first announced, the thing I first thought of was not how awesome it will be, because like you mentioned the bulky and the price was meh. I meme'd it on day one w/ the caption "Who needs food or rent money when you got the Apple Vision pro"

Click image for larger version  Name:	uhu88qi6zmfc1.webp Views:	2 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	494
    Last edited by Cancer Kills; 02-03-2024, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Destian
      Valiant
      • Jan 2024

After watching this review, it confirms my suspicions:
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It looks cool as hell, and I'd probably love it for ~a week, but I know it would wind up collecting dust in a drawer somewhere before long.

I want AR to do things that this just doesn't seem to do. I should be able to ask Siri to find me the highest rated cup of coffee or burger within 1 mile and she should give me a line along the ground that takes me there like in a videogame. Instead, the Maps app sounds like it isn't even designed for the Vision.

Lots of cool tech, but not what I actually want, and nothing resembling that "killer app".
      Last edited by Destian; 02-02-2024, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Sarthis
        • Jan 2024

Simpsons did it

Comment

• Destian
          Valiant
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Sarthis
          Simpsons did it
          Sadly accurate, heh.

Comment

• Mr Croft
            Valiant
            • Feb 2024

It seems cool although I'm not into all the people walking with them in public. I've always had a quest 2 and 3 and it's been fantastic for gaming as a standalone product. Intrested to see how the apps get better for the vision tho

Comment

• Skunkworks
              Valiant
              • Feb 2024

I feel the AVP has made excited about a technology that I've never thought was interesting. While the tech isn't remarkable, apple clearly has put more thought into use-cases than other headset manufacturers. It feels less like a toy and more like a tool. I'm excited for real-space 3d modeling and technology assisting with vision disability. I don't think we will see the average person walking around this a headset, but I think it would be amazing to see vision impaired people using headset in the same way people use hearing aids today.

I'll leave you with this - https://www.wired.com/story/crying-in-apple-vision-pro/

Comment

• Destian
                Valiant
                • Jan 2024

I give them credit for doing the most with the tech of anyone thus far, but I still think of all of the things I feel are obvious with AR and am sad/curious as to why they didn't follow through with them.

Specifically, that map application revamp would've been AMAZING, and if I can think it up, Apple should be able to do better.

Comment

• Destian
                  Valiant
                  • Jan 2024

I guess it's not going well: https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/23/2...cast-kuo-rumor

Comment

• Skunkworks
                    Valiant
                    • Feb 2024

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is end of the road for this product. I think the speculation was that Apple was planning for a far cheaper model next year, but I don’t think it has generated sufficient enthusiasm.

Comment

• Althena
                      The Goddess
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Skunkworks
                      I wouldn’t be surprised if this is end of the road for this product. I think the speculation was that Apple was planning for a far cheaper model next year, but I don’t think it has generated sufficient enthusiasm.
                      Here's a crazy concept for you Apple. You can have this for free:
                      Make the "affordable" one first then make a "pro" model second if it does well.

Comment

• Kustom
                        • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Althena

Here's a crazy concept for you Apple. You can have this for free:
                        Make the "affordable" one first then make a "pro" model second if it does well.
                        Which one will allow me to see peoples IRL gear score?

Comment

• Selbaek
                          The Hero's Legend
                          Administrator
                          • Jan 2024

When you think about it, this is a pretty acceptable headset to use in public for today's day and age. People were all bent out of shape about Google Glass back in 2013, but I think it was because of its less conspicuous design and concerns over privacy and whatnot. With this thing on your face, nobody has to wonder if you've got a camera rolling. You gotta make baby steps before you get the people begging you to put chips in their brains.

I've got a Quest 2, had a PSVR, and have a PSVR2. The PSVR's halo forehead strap is the best way to have these goggle-like devices on your head for long periods of time. The Quest's strap matches what the Apple Vision's strap is doing, mostly, and I know I got neck cramps from using the Quest for too long. I wound up getting a third party halo forehead headband, but I need a weight or something in the back because - even with that - it's just a little too front heavy for long periods of time. PSVR2 is the perfect balance of weight distribution in my opinion, but I also understand that the hardware is in the Playstation and not the headset itself.

Until they find a way to really reduce the weight of the standalone headsets, it probably won't really catch on as a daily driver for a good long while.

Comment

• Wandervox
                            Valiant
                            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Selbaek
                            You gotta make baby steps before you get the people begging you to put chips in their brains.
                            Pfft... put that shit in my skull, stat. Early adopter status, here. Gimme that Ghost in the Shell treatment please.

Originally posted by Selbaek
                            Until they find a way to really reduce the weight of the standalone headsets, it probably won't really catch on as a daily driver for a good long while.
                            Could be worse. I mean, two words: Virtual Boy. XD
                            Seriously though? I'm with you, here. That's been one of the achilles heels of VR for decades. If they can get that dealt with (which will still probably be a bit of time from now), the rest is gonna be near to cake.

...Then it comes down to standardization. Good luck, there, though. >.<;;

Comment

• Destian
                              Valiant
                              • Jan 2024

I'm honestly sad that the Map app for this wasn't what I described earlier. There's so much potential for AR to do some seriously, SERIOUSLY cool stuff, but we're getting none of it.

Look how excited people were when AR was adding Pokemon to the world, and that was just with phone cameras. Where's the AVP version of THAT?

Where's the "Time Machine" app that can change my surroundings using AR? Like I go stand on a city street, activate the program, and it rerenders the world around me to look like a cyber city out of Bladerunner or something like that (I'd probably have to stay stationary as I doubt the tech can render it in real time as we walk around). Or if I want to pretend I'm standing in ancient Rome, or Victorian-era London?

It's a damn shame that Apple is probably going to pull the plug on this because there's ABSOLUTELY potential for AR to be incredible (and WITH current tech). They just lacked the imagination to truly go for it, here.

Comment

Working...