Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wandervox
    Valiant
    • Feb 2024

Valiant Gamers FG Tourney?

So, Althena and were talking and, a significant amount of time was spent bandying an interesting idea -- a Valiant Gamers fighting game tournament. It wouldn't be the first time the concept has been mentioned here -- there've been posts here and there which have seen passing mention of this idea.

Now, I'm not exactly the type to organize... well, anything. But, I can claim experience with helping set up some local tourneys, and have a modest drive based around a great love of the fighting game community as a whole. Looking at the logistics, I can't see putting something like this together as an insurmountable task, especially with VG being the size it is for the moment. Getting a bracket together would be trivial, and drumming up interest should be easy enough. I think the only hang-ups would be settling on which game(s) to play, settling on a schedule participants can fit themselves into, and figuring out what the winner's 'prize' might be -- whether something material, simple bragging rights, or anything else that one might think of.

This is all just a spitball, mind, but I figured I'd put it out there anyway. Again, if this takes off, I'd certainly be willing to assist parties involved in getting something put together as needed (and able). Ground rules, brackets, logistics involving potential streaming of the event, stuff like that. Discuss? :x
  • Althena
    The Goddess
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Thank you so much for posting this, Vox! I can make a poll based on games people want to play, everyone, list you ideas here, please!
    Tagging people who have expressed interest in the past:
    Random Encounter MaestroSPH NooNaN Ryonite

Comment

• Wandervox
      Valiant
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Althena
      Thank you so much for posting this, Vox! I can make a poll based on games people want to play, everyone, list you ideas here, please!
      Not that it helps narrow down options but, in the interest of encouraging suggestions and votes, I'd say anything(*) goes. Asterisk included, as there's always the caveat that VG staff gives the seal of approval on things. XD

I'll throw out a standard listing of common games, both to narrow things down ever-so-slightly, and in efforts to draft up a general list for the uncertain/uninitiated folks:

There are the 'Big Four' -- Street Fighter 6, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, King of Fighters XV, and Tekken 8. This is where you'll likely find the most interest, in general.
      The secondaries usually consist of Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 3, and DC Injustice. Lower popularity, but there are some die-hards.
      The 'anime fighters' are fairly common, some sitting within the Venn diagram as secondaries -- Guilty Gear Strive, Under Night In-Birth II, Granblue Fantasy Versus, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, and BlazBlue
      Outliers still see steady interest among a significant number of folks -- Skullgirls, Melty Blood, Classic/Retro staples (SF2, Mark of the Wolves, and so on)

The list goes on and on and on. Anything with modern online support is fair game, and older stuff can be run through emulators that can employ netplay. Nearly every option can have the same basic tournament ruleset applied. S'just a matter of finding a game or two which most people can get the most enjoyment out of. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Still, it's a starting point. If there's enough interest, I can't imagine there would be many fighting games outside this list which would be out of the question.

(Nope. I'm not a fighting game nerd at all. Nuh uh. Not I. Never.) XD

Sorry for the walls of text. I'm passionate about fighting games and the communities that come up around them. ^^;;

As for my own votes? In no firm order:

Anything Street Fighter (sorry, Althena. I'm a Capcom kid)
      Tekken
      KoF
      GBFV
      Melty Blood
      MotW

Comment

• Althena
        The Goddess
        Administrator
        • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Wandervox
        Anything Street Fighter (sorry, Althena. I'm a Capcom kid.
        You're the one that created a new fighting game nerd, and you're the one who created an SNK fangirl by introducing me to MotW, you only have yourself to apologize to. And I like Capcom just fine.

Comment

• Mr Croft
          Valiant
          • Feb 2024

I'd play tekken for sure! I was a avid fighting game player up until maybe 3 years ago. Still have love for for but my nose isn't to the grindstone like ot used to be.
          Last edited by Mr Croft; 05-05-2024, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Random Encounter
            Administrator
            • Jan 2024

Does GGWP or Fightcade allow for spectators? Because if so, it should be trivial to watch and broadcast matches and commentary.

As for me, my fighting game tastes run retro. I love any flavor of SFII, Soul Blade/Calibur, Samurai Showdown, and KoF. I'm probably not as good as you folks, but I'd love to give it a try!

Comment

• Althena
              The Goddess
              Administrator
              • Jan 2024

For the record, my preferred games would be
              • KOF (big surprise)
              • MotW
              • Dead or Alive
              Games I'm not as good at but would still enjoy and participate in:
              • Street Fighter
              • Samurai Shodown
              • Soul Calibur
              • Tekken
              • Edited to add Guilty Gear
              Last edited by Althena; 05-07-2024, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Mr Croft
                Valiant
                • Feb 2024

Yea should mention myself

Games id play
                Tekken 8
                Sf6 (not as keen here anymore)
                Doa (would seriously need to brush up on this)

Retro if we wanted to get spicy
                Sc2
                Vf5 (actually my favorite fighting game)
                sf4
                umk3 (if this is even possible)
                Last edited by Althena; 05-07-2024, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Wandervox
                  Valiant
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
                  Does GGWP or Fightcade allow for spectators? Because if so, it should be trivial to watch and broadcast matches and commentary.
                  NGL, I haven't had any hands-on time with GGWP, and my knowledge on it is pretty minimal, so I can't really say much there.
                  As for Fightcade, I know there's a system in place for spectating, though I'm not clear on how it works. Still, it's based on a common emulator already, so maybe that part isn't super difficult to figure out...? I hope? But if we can get that part sussed out, it's a really nice solution. it's free, and the whole shebang can run on pretty much everything short of a toaster.

Commentary from some knowledgeable and/or passionate parties would be a huge plus, imo! A nice extra with not a great deal of extra setup involved. Multiple folks for that would be beneficial, where willing -- lets commentators who are interested in taking a turn at the stick do so without any viewers being left with dead air.

Seeing some of these recommendations is making me smile.
                  Soul Calibur and SamSho? Based.
                  Dead or Alive? Cultured.
                  Virtua Fighter? Oh damn. I could get down with that.
                  Street Fighter 4? DEAR GOD, THERE ARE STILL THOSE WHO SPEAK MY LANGUAGE! LET'S FKN' GOOOOOOO~

Originally posted by Mr Croft
                  umk3 (if this is even possible)
                  When last I used Fightcade, UMK3 worked just fine so, if we go that route, getting the game up and in working order should be relatively trivial.

Comment

• Althena
                    The Goddess
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2024

I will say, all this talk of commentators is a bit intimidating- I love playing fighting games but I've taken something of a hiatus and mostly want to play some fighting games with friends. Definitely need to get back into the swing of things. However, if we can get someone to do said commentary, I would gladly step out of my comfort zone for the sake of good content.

Comment

• MaestroSPH
                      • Apr 2024

The Fighting Game tournament(s) is a fantastic idea and I am onboard for playing and helping to figure out logistics. I am a huge enthusiast even though I don't play but a few times a year. ;)

It might even be a good idea to havetwo separatetourneys, one for the most current heavy hitters...some listed previously, and then have one for Retro fighting games running on FightCade or BEAR (which both appear to have spectating but I have just started tinkering). I haven't looked at GGWP yet. I may be overly complicating but c'est la vie.

Tourney (A) game ideas:
                      • Street Fighter 6
                      • Tekken 8
                      • KOF XV
                      • Dead or Alive 6 (pandering to Althena...jk, myself as well!)
                      • MK (not sure which of the latest versions are best)
                      • Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, etc. (anime style games) and this could even be a third tourney...don't know, trying to think this through
                      • Samurai Showdown (PS4 or equivalent system edition)
                      Tourney (B) Retro Game ideas:
                      • Super Street Fighter II Turbo (HD even?)
                      • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
                      • Samurai Showdown V
                      • KOF 98 Ultimate (best version in my opinion), KOF XIII, etc.
                      • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
                      • Capcom vs. SNK2
                      • SNK Capcom SVC Chaos
                      I am positive I missed some games et al but I need to get this overly wordy post finished!

Comment

• Althena
                        The Goddess
                        Administrator
                        • Jan 2024

Originally posted by MaestroSPH
                        • ​​​​​​Capcom vs. SNK2
                        God damn the nights we spent at your place playing the fuck out of this game! BTW, welcome, Mighty Geese!

Comment

• MaestroSPH
                          • Apr 2024

Love it!

"I'll stain my hands... with your blood" --Geese Howard

Comment

• Wandervox
                            Valiant
                            • Feb 2024

"I'll stain my hands... with your blood" --Geese Howard
                            PREDICTABO! XD

You are an absolute KING for being willing to help plan and set this kind of thing up. It's not impossible to do it solo, and doable with a group, but having some particularly knowledgeable, passionate folks in on it will help a great deal. It's a task for the brave and masochistic for sure. XD

It might even be a good idea to havetwo separatetourneys, one for the most current heavy hitters...some listed previously, and then have one for Retro fighting games running on FightCade or BEAR (which both appear to have spectating but I have just started tinkering). I haven't looked at GGWP yet. I may be overly complicating but c'est la vie.
                            I really like the idea of separate tourneys for each game group. Very EVO. It reads like overcomplication on paper but, I think that might be the best way to go, in order to KEEP things FROM becoming super complicated in practice. Particularly when the scheduling stage comes around. Good call.

I totally believe there's a chance some parties may be interested in retro Marvel. Current UMVC3 is cool but, the number of true believers of MVC2 might be significant if presented as an option. I'm beginning to see Althena's wisdom in making some polls. galaxybrain

There are more than enough anime fighters that they could be their own group, depending on the number of games and/or interested parties. GG, BB, Skullgirls, Granblue, Melty, Persona Arena DBFZ, the list goes on. I'd say it ultimately depends STRONGLY on how many folks are interested, and how many games end up entering the mix.

I love that you threw SVC in there. I don't expect to see enough interest to build a competition out of it but, always good to throw into a list of options.

I will play absolute hell out of some CvS2, and crush all comers. That, and SFA3. I miss having groups of folks throwing down on that game.
                            Last edited by Wandervox; 05-09-2024, 06:08 AM. Reason: I'll learn proper formatting. Someday.

Comment

• Althena
                              The Goddess
                              Administrator
                              • Jan 2024

Not for anything, but I wouldn't mind doing a much more casual monthly "Fighting Game Night" where we just hang out and fuck around in some fighting games. I MISS MY FIGHTING GAME PEOPLE.

Comment

Working...