Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Valiant Together: a proposed community game night

Hey everyone! After discussing LAN games during last night's EarthBound stream, we got to thinking about how we could take the vibe of a LAN-style get-together and apply it to our community. I for one would love to set a night aside maybe once or twice a month to get together for some LAN-friendly games for 3+ players. We somewhat discussed doing this with the Fighting Game Tourney, but I think that idea would also apply well here. I was thinking Sunday evenings may be a good night, either once a month or biweekly.

Would you guys be up for it? And what games would you like to see featured? Off the top of my head, some LAN-friendly games and genres I can think of are:
    • Beat-em-ups (Castle Crashers, TMNT)
    • FPS (Doom, Left 4 Dead, Quake, Unreal Tournament)
    • Real-time strategy (Age of Empires, StarCraft, WarCraft)
    • RPGs (Diablo, Neverwinter Nights)
    • Survival/building games (MineCraft, Stardew Valley, Valheim)
    • Turn-based strategy (Civilization)
    Last edited by Random Encounter; 05-23-2024, 09:49 AM.
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Those sound great! To add, I wouldn't mind a night for a fighting game tournament of sorts where we just have some fun eliminating each other until only one remains. King of Fighters, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Super Smash Bros, etc.

Comment

• Althena
      The Goddess
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Selbaek
      Those sound great! To add, I wouldn't mind a night for a fighting game tournament of sorts where we just have some fun eliminating each other until only one remains. King of Fighters, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Super Smash Bros, etc.
      Absolutly down with that, but for a more casual fighting game evening, as Wandervox is already working on ideas for a tournament and I don't want to step on toes.

Comment

• The Grimace
        Valiant
        • Mar 2024

I absolutely love this idea! I don't have any experience playing games made for over 4 people at one time, but I would be thrilled to try out suggestions people have.

Comment

• Selbaek
          The Hero's Legend
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Althena

Absolutly down with that, but for a more casual fighting game evening, as Wandervox is already working on ideas for a tournament and I don't want to step on toes.
          Yeah! A round-robin just for funsies would be great!

Comment

• Mr Croft
            Valiant
            • Feb 2024

I would be interested in something like this. I haven't touched l4d2 in a while!

Comment

• Random Encounter
              Administrator
              • Jan 2024

I can't believe I forgot about Neverwinter Nights. I played this multiplayer with an ex of mine some years ago, and it was a lot of fun. I think running a module for four players or so would be fun!

Comment

• Althena
                The Goddess
                Administrator
                • Jan 2024

NWN was fantastic!

Comment

• Wandervox
                  Valiant
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Althena

By all means, step away. If organizing a 'major', larger scale is unrealistic, I totally understand and am not particularly upset over it. I'd actually much rather the idea branch into something that a greater majority can, and would, be interested in. Fighting games aren't necessarily everyone's cup of tea, and it makes sense to put together something more accessible and different from the norm. galaxybrain

I'm loving pretty much all of the games listed so far! Civ scratches an itch I've been stuck with for ages. Diablo and Neverwinter are brilliant ideas. TMNT and Streets of Rage could be great. Minecraft usually catches universal interest in most communities. RTS games aren't my cup of tea but, they're definitely popular choices. FPS games certainly captures interest, mine included. L4D is a great co-op 'party' game where FPS games are concerned, and I'd personally give my kingdom to play original UT deathmatch again. XD

I'm absolutely all for the idea of a community gaming night. Might be good for folks who aren't particularly interested in, or usually available for, Jackbox evenings. Good for providing some variety, or to catch some folks whose schedules aren't compatible with the usual Tuesday evenings.

Comment

• Random Encounter
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2024

I floated the idea last night of hosting a community game night in two weeks on Tuesday, 6/11. Any objections, or suggestions for a different date?

Comment

• Wandervox
                      Valiant
                      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
                      I floated the idea last night of hosting a community game night in two weeks on Tuesday, 6/11. Any objections, or suggestions for a different date?
                      No objections here. If it's the same time, or later, than the current Jackbox Tuesday hours, I'll be there!

Comment

Working...