Incoming Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Grimace
    Valiant
    • Mar 2024

Incoming Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster?

We're all probably pretty tired of leaks in the industry- not because we're tired of games, but because we're tired of being disappointed when years pass and the titles in question never actually release. For instance, Final Fantasy IX has been rumored to have a remake in development behind the scenes for several years now, and has been recently getting more hype thanks to a popular leaker on Twitter once again confirming its legitimacy.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a work of art and I have been waiting to be able to play the game on modern machines for years. The best way right now is likely to play the War of the Lions PSP version, hacked to remove spell slowdown induced by translation peculiarities. This version is 16x9, includes extra characters and jobs, voice acting, etc. The downside to playing this version is that you can't steal Marquis Elmdor's Genji Equipment, and the multiplayer aspect is practically dead along with the PSP, so many pieces of equipment are inaccessible without cheating or putting in way more effort than should be necessary.

For years, people have been asking for an ultimate version of the game to be released with all of the new bonuses while also being available on modern hardware. For years, Square-Enix has been silent.

Yasumi Matsuno, the game's writer and director, has been mum. Periodically he has made comments on Twitter like, "if Final Fantasy Tactics were remade, would you like T.G. Cid to stay incredibly powerful?" People would ask him if he was being cryptic on a remake or remaster being in development, but he would always divert to Square-Enix. Even if he knew, he would not be at liberty to say yes or no due to the legality.

Well, maybe we finally have something to latch onto.

"Don't make me hope," is what came into my mind immediately after reading the article title. Well, given that the leak was presented this time by a Bloomberg journalist, it's getting harder for me to cast off as a simple rumor. I've got my fingers crossed that this many years since the release of War of the Lions, we'll actually see another proper port+ or remake of the game.

I just hope it doesn't turn out like the recent Tactics Ogre remaster where they change everything that made the original great.
  • Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

I loved the hell out of Final Fantasy Tactics, and I fully expect it will be a GotM at some point in the future. I never did spend much time with War of the Lions, but I would never say no to a remaster of this game. I don't even mind them making significant changes like the TO remaster as long as it included some kind of multiplayer feature.

Comment

• Selbaek
      The Hero's Legend
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

FF9 and FFT were both on the docket (along with a ton of other Square-Enix titles that were eventually confirmed) from nvidia themselves leaking information by not hiding it from their GeForce Now database. There's a reddit thread from 2021 that lays it all out, and the FF9 and FFT portions are the two from Square-Enix that have laid dormant the longest. I was thinking that they might announce FF9 Remake in-between FF7 Rebirth and FF7R#3, and all those signs are pointing towards it actually coming true. FFT I'm less confident about personally being revealed soon, but I have full confidence that it's coming.

Jason is a good source to rely on. His credibility is something he's fought for and earned, for sure. One thing to note is that he only confirms it's in the works - not that it's coming soon. So don't lose hope if we don't hear anything about it this year!

Comment

• Wandervox
        Valiant
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by The Grimace
        Final Fantasy Tactics is a work of art and I have been waiting to be able to play the game on modern machines for years.
        Originally posted by The Grimace
        "Don't make me hope," is what came into my mind immediately after reading the article title. Well, given that the leak was presented this time by a Bloomberg journalist, it's getting harder for me to cast off as a simple rumor. I've got my fingers crossed that this many years since the release of War of the Lions, we'll actually see another proper port+ or remake of the game.
        I would freely give my left stone, maybe even my right as well, to have a FFT remake to the quality standard of FF7r. If that's not in the cards, though, that's fine. So little as a great quality port of WotL on a modern console or, if one dares to dream, on PC, would moisten the pants of so many players.

S-E has shown they haven't entirely forgotten about the franchise, having crafted the relevant bits to throw into FFXIV. So, here's to hoping it's still at least in the forefront of their minds and under consideration. Stay latched on, brothers and sisters.

Comment

• The Grimace
          Valiant
          • Mar 2024

June 20th was the 27th birthday of Final Fantasy Tactics. Square Enix Music held a livestream on their channel to play the original soundtrack and several choice remixes from games like Final Fantasy Record Keeper and Dissidia NT. Lots of people from different parts of the world were present in chat- Japan, English, Spanish, Italian, and more- but the one ever present sentiment in the chat was that there was a huge outcry very frequently venting support for a Final Fantasy Tactics Remastered. Many of the JP audience in attendance were asking for an HD-2D remaster. I myself am not overexcited about an HD2D variation, but honestly if we just get the game on current consoles and Steam, I will be happy.

Near the end of the first play of the OST, writer and director Yasumi Matsuno joined the chat and was periodically commenting on tracks. One big meme on the JP side was them referring to Ovelia as a tonberry, "Donvelia," in reference to the game's ending. Matsuno seemed to have a good laugh responding to that.

In the last few days, he also released some high quality images of the first visuals for Final Fantasy Tactics. Apparently he had shown them during a FFXIV stream in the past, but now the high quality images are finally available online. The initial planning images looked much more like Ogre Battld than the Tactics Ogre-inspired finished product we received.

Let's hope for more fun news soon!

Comment

Working...