• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Althena
    The Goddess
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Evo 2024

As the resident fighting game enthusiast, I feel like I owe you all an apology

Time got away from me and I forgot it was the most exciting time of the year for people who love the genre: Evo 2024!

I'll have to catch up on yesterdays events but who else is checking out what's happening?

--------------
    Click image for larger version  Name:	657866d52e4cd6019b7f8270_Evo 24 Banner.png Views:	1 Size:	793.3 KB ID:	1728

• Wandervox
    Valiant
    • Feb 2024

Saw this yesterday. Meant to contribute. Got distracted by watching EVO. Go figure. ^^;;

I'm usually most interested in Tekken and Street fighter. The finals for both were insane, and there were SO MANY AMAZING MOMENTS during the whole event. The clips from the official streams speak volumes, and I keep looking back at some of my favorites. You can't make some of this stuff up.

The anime fighters were pretty hype. The Uni grand finals ended with a super close round taken by Mo.Sin, answered with Senaru taking the win with a perfect K.O.

GG Strive came down to the final round, which Nitro won pretty decisively after going full rushdown with his Jack-O.

MK had everyone clenching jaws, with an extremely close match between Sonicfox and Nicolas in grand finals.

SF3 had some great moments, some of which have folks fondly thinking back to the classic "EVO Moment #37" Gotta love those shows of skill coupled with strong technical knowledge, not to mention the 'magic pixel' wins.

Tekken grand finals gave us unprecedented Pakistan vs Pakistan representation -- love to see it -- ended with Arslan Ash taking the win over Atif in one of the closest matches I've ever seen.

Sykkuno and LilyPichu went head-to-head in Tekken as part of a fun little sideshow. She talked some shit, and ultimately took the win. She also had the privilege of taking a crack at the man Harada himself. Poor guy lost a best-of-three match against LilyPichu, literally at his own game. When the dust settled, he said, "I quit this game," obviously to the amusement of the crowd.

The SF6 grand finals were incredibly close, with a bracket reset, and an emotional win by Punk. The man broke down and cried on the spot, making Yipes get pretty emotional in the commentator's booth..

As always, there was some showboating. Even some of the cockiest stuff were still in good taste though, which was good to see, and really served to engage the audience. Even when it boiled down to good old-fashioned shenanigans ranging from the absolutely absurd, to the kind of stuff you'd expect to see at any given match with a group of friends.

There were some interesting announcements, depending on your level of interest in a given game. Nothing that's driven as much hype as some in the past years but, there were some crowd pleasers here and there.​

There were, of course, lots of other good stuff I didn't cover -- GBFV Rising, Marvel, KoF (sorry, Althena ), and other things -- but, I can't find good clips, didn't take any, and missed catching those game entirely, respectively. Still, the entire event was amazing overall. Each year makes me wish even more than the last that I could be there in person.

This kinda thing is my jam so, I'd be super interested in hearing others' impressions of the event, whether any of y'all have attended before, and if you plan to do so again!

Comment

Working...