• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

PlayStation 5 Pro

PlayStation showcased their upgraded model of the PS5 today in a presentation on YouTube:

The best way I can think to summarize the video is that they have put together some interesting technologies in order to give existing games some impressive (for a console) enhancements while keeping the developers mostly hands-off. This way, developers don't need to consider developing for two different PlayStation platforms while the PS5 Pro does all the work locally and internally with their "PSSR" (or Pisser, as I will call it) technology to give it that extra umph. The goal is to narrow the gap as much as possible between "High Fidelity" and "Performance" game modes.

Here's a rundown:
    • Larger GPU: 67% extra compute units and 27% faster RAM, leading up to 45% faster rendering.
    • Advanced Ray Tracing: up to double or even triple the rendering speeds of PS5.
    • AI-driven upscaling: PlayStation Super Resolution analyzes the game image pixel by pixel to fill in the gaps for a quality higher res image.
    • Disc drive is the same modular drive used on the revised version of the normal PS5; not included.
    • Vertical stand is also sold separately.
    • Launches November 7, 2024.
    • $699.99
    I don't think the price point is at a good spot. I can see more people considering $600, but $700 feels like a pretty tall ask, especially considering a lot of people are still recovering from struggles during the pandemic, and the fact that a lot of people haven't truly realized that PS5 has been out as long as it has - coming up on 4 years already! More power to those that get this, but I don't see any justification in the price for myself.

What are your thoughts about this? Is anyone thinking about picking a PS5 Pro up?
    Last edited by Selbaek; 09-10-2024, 01:34 PM.
  • Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Those aren't insignificant improvements. It's probably a better deal if you haven't already bought the original PS5. But as some of you have already seen me rant elsewhere, I don't think paying a premium for this is better than just getting a Steam Deck or a full-fledged PC. I'm not really moved by the arguments for couch gaming when I have a living room PC that's just fine being comfy for that purpose, so this probably isn't marketed for me.
    Last edited by Random Encounter; 09-10-2024, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Skunkworks
      Valiant
      • Feb 2024

It's an extra $80 if you want a disk drive.

Comment

• Skunkworks
        Valiant
        • Feb 2024

I didn't realize this, but I've seen it mentioned a few times. After 4 year, there are only 15 games that will benefit from this console.

Comment

• Selbaek
          The Hero's Legend
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
          Those aren't insignificant improvements. It's probably a better deal if you haven't already bought the original PS5. But as some of you have already seen me rant elsewhere, I don't think paying a premium for this is better than just getting a Steam Deck or a full-fledged PC. I'm not really moved by the arguments for couch gaming when I have a living room PC that's just fine being comfy for that purpose, so this probably isn't marketed for me.
          Yeah, for $700 you can make a PC as a dedicated couch gaming rig. The argument here, if there is one, would be that you're getting probably a $1500 PC's worth of capability out of a $700 machine. But that removes all the multi-functionality of a PC if you're more interested in that, so for many people here it's likely not a very strong argument.

Originally posted by Skunkworks
          I didn't realize this, but I've seen it mentioned a few times. After 4 year, there are only 15 games that will benefit from this console.

https://www.polygon.com/guides/44972...pro-games-list
          Whew, that list is bleak! Gotta keep in mind that it's just what's been confirmed from the announcement. I'm sure very few third parties got the opportunity to work with Sony to have tech demos ready for their presentation, let alone the ability to update their game before the console's reveal. I also find it hard to believe that Sony's latest game, Astro Bot, won't have a day 1 patch for it on launch day.

Although.. that is just a list of games that will splice in what's needed for the Pro to use its extra PSSR technology. The bigger GPU alone should be enough to show some noticeable performance spikes in regular games without the need for better ray tracing or AI upscaled images. I would hope, anyway.

Comment

• Random Encounter
            Administrator
            • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Selbaek

Yeah, for $700 you can make a PC as a dedicated couch gaming rig. The argument here, if there is one, would be that you're getting probably a $1500 PC's worth of capability out of a $700 machine. But that removes all the multi-functionality of a PC if you're more interested in that, so for many people here it's likely not a very strong argument.
            I'm not convinced that you're getting that much value out of the PS5 hardware compared to an equivalent PC. Since the PS3 era, you've really been paying for a streamlined user experience and platform exclusives. And the latter isn't even true anymore.
            Last edited by Random Encounter; 09-12-2024, 12:48 AM. Reason: Fat-fingered typo

Comment

• Selbaek
              The Hero's Legend
              Administrator
              • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter

I'm not convinced that you're getting that much value out of the PS5 hardware compared to an equivalent PC. Since the PS3 era, you've really plbeen paying for a streamlined user experience and platform exclusives. And the latter isn't even true anymore.
              I'm not personally convinced to buy into anything, but the PS5 Pro is promoting stuff that's typically advertised as '80 or '90 (and maybe '70 Super) features of GeForce cards which typically go for $900 or more. That is before motherboard, RAM, CPU, etc. I'm not trying to convince anyone here that there's actual $250 extra value in a PS5 Pro over a $450 regular PS5 or that you're going to want to trade any time with your PC for a console - I'm just saying that if anyone is going to justify buying a PS5 Pro that there could be reason enough for their justification beyond "I have the money so I'm spending it." Even if it's a pretty weak argument.

Comment

• Mr Croft
                Valiant
                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Selbaek

I'm not personally convinced to buy into anything, but the PS5 Pro is promoting stuff that's typically advertised as '80 or '90 (and maybe '70 Super) features of GeForce cards which typically go for $900 or more. That is before motherboard, RAM, CPU, etc. I'm not trying to convince anyone here that there's actual $250 extra value in a PS5 Pro over a $450 regular PS5 or that you're going to want to trade any time with your PC for a console - I'm just saying that if anyone is going to justify buying a PS5 Pro that there could be reason enough for their justification beyond "I have the money so I'm spending it." Even if it's a pretty weak argument.
                You mean the equivalent of a 3070 super cause there is NO way this thing is going to do what even a 4070 super can do. This price point is for a very small fraction of die hard sony fans who will buy anything for the company they bootlick for imo. Something about seeing this price point for a mid gen refresh with no disk drive, no stand and paid online is just so shortsighted. At these prices just get a steam deck or build a couch pc and buy a controller. The only people who should be getting this is people who still own a ps4. And even then I'd push them to get a steamdeck or pc. I'm starting to get arrogant ps3 sony vibes again.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought of console gaming as the cheaper alternative to pc gaming.
                Last edited by Mr Croft; 09-11-2024, 08:57 PM. Reason: More thoughts

Comment

• Selbaek
                  The Hero's Legend
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2024

The jury's still out if it can even do what a 3070 Super can do. I'm looking forward to a Digital Foundry teardown.

I'm also fairly excited about the features it's touting, because that means that they will likely be features going into the base PS6 in probably 4 more years or more.
                  And hopefully more affordably so.

Comment

• Althena
                    The Goddess
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2024

Although I historically have loved me some consoles, I'd be hard-pressed to find the justification nowadays, especially after just buying a new PC that can do anything I want. I feel like I'm past the age of "but console exclusives!". Maybe I'm just getting old. I just have no compulsion to get one.

Comment

Working...