• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Emulation

Emulation

Emulation is the art of running software intended for one hardware platform on a completely different one. Unlike porting software to another platform, emulation recreates a native environment that allows us to experience the software it as it was intended to be. Emulators may also allow for audio and visual enhancements not possible on the original hardware. Most importantly, emulation allows us to enjoy and preserve software from older systems for years to come, long after those systems are no longer produced or supported.

Feel free and discuss any topics about and related to emulation here! This also includes homebrew software development.

Useful Links
    Last edited by Random Encounter; 01-25-2024, 10:58 AM.
  • Althena
    The Goddess
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

I've been getting back into emulation recently. Thanks for posting this! What do people use for PS1 emulator these days?

Comment

• Random Encounter
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

For several years, I've used RetroArch with the Beetle PSX core. But I've heard a lot of good things about DuckStation, and I intend to use it for my upcoming Vagrant Story playthrough.

Comment

• Althena
        The Goddess
        Administrator
        • Jan 2024

I may be asking for related reasons.

Comment

• Selbaek
          The Hero's Legend
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

I bought into the MiSTer project back in 2020, and I've been really spoiled by the FPGA implementation of hardware emulation and all the core developers that focus on hardware accuracy. The board used for MiSTer was thought to have reached its peak, but in the last year or two we've seen it reach heights previously thought impossible with the PS1, Saturn, and N64 cores.

It's a fairly expensive endeavor for the hobby... but no more expensive than an Analogue device, really. Unlike an Analogue device, it's open sourced and free for anyone to develop anything within the platform. I know the Analogue Pocket has an openFPGA ordeal, but honestly, it's a pretty limited FPGA chip in comparison to the Cyclone IV used on the de10-nano board that MiSTer uses, so it won't have the full feature set that MiSTer has beyond the handheld systems it touts on its main FPGA chip (which is closed off). Although... core developers that care enough to support it are finding ways to make things work, so this might be a moot statement.

From the findings between both hardware and software emulation, both methods have gotten really close to accurately depicting the intended behavior of the games we loved back in the day. I'm really glad we have all these different options to enjoy retro games in a modern setting one way or another. As long as you're having fun, there's no wrong way to go about it!

Comment

• Althena
            The Goddess
            Administrator
            • Jan 2024

NinjaMasterGara, remember when when we went in together for "Bleem!"? We thought we were so cool. I mean, we were.

Comment

• NinjaMasterGara
              Valiant
              • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Althena
              NinjaMasterGara, remember when when we went in together for "Bleem!"? We thought we were so cool. I mean, we were.
              Haha, I do remember that. I also remember how horrible it was to try and get working.

I do most of my emulating on RetroArch these days on a Raspberry Pi, though I have discovered that the Steam Deck is a great emulation system as well.

Comment

• Random Encounter
                Administrator
                • Jan 2024

God I'd love a Steam Deck. I love that there are other companies making good alternatives too. It's a form factor that should have taken off long ago. Which RetroArch cores do you use?

Also, great to have you with us, Gara!

Comment

• Kustom
                  • Jan 2024

I've got a buddy that's heavy into emulation and he loves the Retroid handhelds. Great hardware for the price.

Comment

• Random Encounter
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2024

So there's a Game Boy core for RetroArch called doublecherryGB that emulates the GB link cable function for up to 16 players. This apparently works in splitscreen as well netplay. I'd love to play someone in GB Tetris and Faceball 2000 sometime!

libretro gameboy core with up to 16 players support and buildtin Pokemon Distribution Events - hardfork from tgbdual-libretro - TimOelrichs/doublecherryGB-libretro

Comment

• Althena
                      The Goddess
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
                      So there's a Game Boy core for RetroArch called doublecherryGB that emulates the GB link cable function for up to 16 players. This apparently works in splitscreen as well netplay. I'd love to play someone in GB Tetris and Faceball 2000 sometime!

https://github.com/TimOelrichs/doublecherryGB-libretro
                      Fun Love GIF by Denyse®

Comment

• NinjaMasterGara
                        Valiant
                        • Jan 2024

I just finished setting up an extra Raspberry Pi I had around with RetroPie and this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

It works super well and even has built in speakers that sound about like my old Sony tube TV. I have been playing some old SNES games when I have the free time.

I have not entered the fight to get a Pi 5 yes, but I head its actually powerful enough to properly run the N64 emulators.

Comment

• Random Encounter
                          Administrator
                          • Jan 2024

I always wanted a Pi to fuck around with some homelab and emulation Ideas I had. It's gotten to the point though that there are lots of options out there that aren't much more expensive than the Pi but are more powerful. Those small form factor Lenovo boxes come to mind.

Comment

• NinjaMasterGara
                            Valiant
                            • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
                            I always wanted a Pi to fuck around with some homelab and emulation Ideas I had. It's gotten to the point though that there are lots of options out there that aren't much more expensive than the Pi but are more powerful. Those small form factor Lenovo boxes come to mind.
                            The slow increase in the cost of the Pi's hasn't helped either. I like the idea of a more robust small formfactor PC that can just run stuff too, but I haven't found the right fit for that yet.

On my windows PC I really like LaunchBox as an emulation front end https://www.launchbox-app.com/

It is under constant development, and the customization and features made it worth it for me to drop the $75 for a forever license. I think if I branch out from the Pi for my standalone that'll be my go to instead of RetroPie (which hasn't had a major update in a couple years).

Comment

• Random Encounter
                              Administrator
                              • Jan 2024

I haven't thought about Virtual Game Station in years, but I just came across this article. Bleem came first, but it's kind of wild to have an emulator commercially available on this scale and touted by none other than Steve Jobs. I was really impressed with the Windows version too, and it was much easier to use than the plugin-based PS1 emulators that ruled the scene for awhile after.

Back in 1999 Steve Jobs took to the stage at Macworld to tout a new emulator that could play PS1 discs on your Mac.

Comment

Working...