• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

PSVR2 to get a wireless revision?

PlayStation release a blog today regarding an upcoming PS5 system update which includes a better hub screen with customizable and resizable widgets. It all looks pretty cool... but something was pointed out about one of the screenshots in that blog post.

In the section regarding the Welcome hub, there is a small widget showing the battery life of the connected devices. You see a Dual Sense controller icon, the PULSE earbuds in one icon, and then... the PSVR2 headset with a battery life icon?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	697.0 KB ID:	2102
    I wonder if this is a slipup, a purposeful tease, or just some kind of mockup mistake.

Recently, Sony had a massive discount on PSVR2 headsets. This came a little before the PSVR2 PC adapter released, which I garnered was for the sake of enticing some extra sales. I bet it worked like that, but now I'm wondering if there was also the intention of clearing stock so that they can focus on a revised wireless model of PSVR2.

I'm personally interested in a wireless version of this headset. I like the few games that are on PSVR2 worth playing, and getting the wire out of the way would really enhance things (especially when I'm trying to walk a little farther than the wire will allow me). On the flip side, seeing how they decided to price their PS5 Pro, I'm a little scared to think of how much they're going to charge for a wireless version of the headset. Given how well they really haven't supported the PSVR2 at all this year, I'm quite skeptical on if they would bother with a wireless version... unless it's going to be touted as a premium device that "could only be compatible" with the PS5 Pro... aye caramba.

EDIT: I just turned on my system to make sure, and currently everything does still show separately from each other. It's possible that because the widget is truncated to the smallest it can be that it's lumping in all PSVR2 accessories together, but I really have doubts because the Sense controllers can be used separately from the headset and vice-versa.

Here's a screenshot of my own PS5 with all of the accessories attached/turned on. You can see that the left and right Sense Controllers have their own individual battery life. I don't think they will truncate it all into a single icon with an average battery summary.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	12
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	2103

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Selbaek; 09-12-2024, 11:47 AM.
  • Althena
    The Goddess
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

I am... Leery? (Not sure if that's the right word) about VR in general, but that is well-spotted and intriguing to be sure.

Comment

Working...