Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Metroid

Click image for larger version

Name:	Metroid Logo.png
Views:	5648
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	432

I know we've got to have some Metroid fans in this house. I'll start with a HD mod pack someone has developed for Metroid on the NES. It's kind of amazing that they can do this given the limitations of the original.

Last edited by Random Encounter; 01-30-2024, 12:39 AM.
  • Althena
    The Goddess
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

I never had the history that a lot of people do with Metroid, but damn do I like the soundtrack, and I enjoy the games for what they are. I LOVE Castlevania however, and the entire Metroidvania genre.

Comment

• Selbaek
      The Hero's Legend
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
      I'll start with a HD mod pack someone has developed for Metroid on the NES. It's kind of amazing that they can do this given the limitations of the original.
      I got excited until I read that it's only compatible with the Mesen emulator! It would be really impressive to see something that actually works on original hardware.

Infidelity_nes has done some amazing work porting NES games to the SNES, and with Metroid he went above and beyond giving some Super Metroid QoL things to the original game, including a map and status screen. Furthermore, a user on the MiSTer Discord community "PeachPie" has given this port a romhack to give the status screen better images of Samus both in and out of her suit, as well as spruce up the map graphics.

Comment

• Random Encounter
        Administrator
        • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Selbaek

I got excited until I read that it's only compatible with the Mesen emulator! It would be really impressive to see something that actually works on original hardware.

Infidelity_nes has done some amazing work porting NES games to the SNES, and with Metroid he went above and beyond giving some Super Metroid QoL things to the original game, including a map and status screen.
        That's pretty interesting! I see he's even given Metroid MSU-1 support. I can imagine a dedicated ROM hacker could really go wild with adding SNES-specific features to these games (Mode 7, etc.) I also like what he's done with his Super Mario Bros. 3+ hack.

Comment

• Selbaek
          The Hero's Legend
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
          That's pretty interesting! I see he's even given Metroid MSU-1 support. I can imagine a dedicated ROM hacker could really go wild with adding SNES-specific features to these games (Mode 7, etc.) I also like what he's done with his Super Mario Bros. 3+ hack.
          Yeah! The scene for retro consoles these days is more exciting than ever with game enhancements that push the original hardware further than before, ports to newer retro systems to give it the extra oomph it may have needed, and even new games being designed to run on those older machines.

Another Metroid project shoutout would be to AM2R - "Another Metroid 2 Remake." Nintendo gave this a cease and desist and then some time afterwards announced and released "Samus Returns" on the 3DS as an official Metroid 2 remake, but AM2R was an amazing project that felt really good in my opinion. Currently the only way I know to get ahold of it is on archive.org, and it is only a Windows program in case someone was wanting to play it on the base Steam Deck OS or something. However, there is a project surrounding AM2R called AM2RLauncher, which is "a front-end application that simplifies installing the latest AM2R-Community-Updates, creating APKs for Android use, as well as Mods for AM2R. It supports Windows (x86/x64) as well as Linux (x64)," so the Steam Deck OS thing is probably a moot point. You just need the AM2R 1.1 zip file from archive.org in order to utilize it.

Comment

• Random Encounter
            Administrator
            • Jan 2024

AM2R is so good, shame that it got taken down. I love that the community has kept it alive and up to date over the years. I'd also like to recommend Metroid Planets. It started as a remake of the original Metroid but now also sports a map editor, item randomizer, and even multiplayer.

Comment

• Selbaek
              The Hero's Legend
              Administrator
              • Jan 2024

Wow, I've never heard of M. Planets! This looks interesting; I may have to check this out later.

It's been 5 years since Nintendo scrapped the original Metroid Prime 4 development and announced they were starting over with Retro Studios at the helm. At this point I am convinced they are just holding onto the game as a launch title for their next generation hardware.
              Last edited by Selbaek; 01-31-2024, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...