Clear All
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Xbox to potentially go third party

UPDATE: Updates on the Xbox Business | Official Xbox Podcast - YouTube
    The short answer is a definitive "no."
    What Might Be The Reasons Behind Xbox's Supposed Decision To Go Third-Party Instead of Doubling Down on Exclusives? - The SportsRush
    Xbox going third-party and stepping away from hardware, says insider (gamingbible.com)
    If Microsoft Gives ‘Starfield’ To PlayStation, What Does Xbox Become? (forbes.com)
    Is Xbox Game Studios going to become a third-party publisher? Let’s predict the future | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

The last few weeks have had insiders dishing information out to news outlets what they've heard as an initiative towards Microsoft making their Xbox brand a third party focused endeavor. Given the state of exclusive games and experiences since the Xbox Series family of systems have released, as well as how poorly the Xbox One family of systems did in the last generation, it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to ditch everything and focus on things like XCloud and Game Pass. This is all hearsay with assumptions from insiders based on what they've been hearing and absorbing, however today the head of Xbox Phil Spencer sent out a tweet saying they plan on addressing everything next week:

(1) Phil Spencer on X: "We're listening and we hear you. We've been planning a business update event for next week, where we look forward to sharing more details with you about our vision for the future of Xbox. Stay tuned." / X (twitter.com)

What do you think this could mean? Going third party is one thing, but do you think they're going to drop their platform completely? No more achievements for your Xbox account? Will the Microsoft Store games be rendered useless as they turn to focus on Steam and other PC platforms? We'll potentially find out next week, but I love to speculate.

​If they dip out and only publish games to other platforms, things will really have come full circle. Nintendo will be vetted once again against a four-letter S-named company and the two will vie for titles from third party publishers. But the landscape is way different these days, and PC gaming isn't as different of a landscape from console gaming as it was a decade or more ago. With something like the Steam Deck, PC gaming is almost on parity as a gaming device you can just take out of the box and play like consoles do. Xbox already felt like they were just becoming a PC platform with a box for those that wanted the console-like simplicity, but with the lines blurred between PC and console gaming as they are these days, perhaps Microsoft just doesn't see the need for a dedicated box - and would instead leverage the other existing boxes for the brands and IPs they've acquired in the last 5+ years.
    Last edited by Selbaek; 02-17-2024, 10:26 AM.
  • Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

I would feel kind of bad for SE to finally have a port of FFXIV on Xbox only for Microsoft to announce they're going to be a strictly software outfit from now on.

In all seriousness, I haven't really been much of an Xbox customer since the OG Xbox days. The 360 wasn't really my vibe, but that was the last time I felt like Microsoft brought a product to market that really stood out from its competitors. The Xbox One and Series X/S, while not bad hardware, didn't really give give me all that much incentive to choose them over other alternatives. The greatest loss, IMO, would be the Series X/S controllers; to me it's really the superior controller choice for PC gaming.

Will the Microsoft Store games be rendered useless as they turn to focus on Steam and other PC platforms?
    It wouldn't be the first time. Fucking Games for Windows Live, man.

Comment

• Althena
      The Goddess
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
      I haven't really been much of an Xbox customer since the OG Xbox days. The 360 wasn't really my vibe, but that was the last time I felt like Microsoft brought a product to market that really stood out from its competitors.
      I loved my Xbox, and my 360. I got an Xbox One because I worked for Microsoft, but didn't rush out to get it. I've had my Xbox Live sub for 20 years. I've been pretty much a Microsoft fangirl that entire time, but it's had its shares of ups and downs. I would be sad to see this, but I'd still watch with interest for what was to come.

Comment

• Selbaek
        The Hero's Legend
        Administrator
        • Jan 2024

We shall see! For all the murmurs that are going on right now, I've heard just as many over the last year about an achievement overhaul, whatever that could mean.

Comment

• VarinXIV
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Althena

I loved my Xbox, and my 360. I got an Xbox One because I worked for Microsoft, but didn't rush out to get it. I've had my Xbox Live sub for 20 years. I've been pretty much a Microsoft fangirl that entire time, but it's had its shares of ups and downs. I would be sad to see this, but I'd still watch with interest for what was to come.
          This is my journey with Microsoft as well. All my friends left for PlayStation after the 360 but I stayed with Xbox because I liked the ecosystem better.

If Microsoft moved out of the console space I really wouldn't be surprised. I was kind of wondering what was next when Spencer admitted that they lost:

“It’s just not true that if we go off and build great games, all of a sudden you’re going to see console share shift in some dramatic way. We lost the worst generation to lose in the Xbox One,” the Microsoft exec said.

Spencer also poured cold water on hopes that the now-defunct console’s replacement, the current Xbox Series X, would be able to chip away at sales of the Sony PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch.

“I know that will upset a ton of people,” he said, “but it’s just the truth of the matter when you’re third place in the console marketplace and the top two players are as strong as they are.”

It's to bad as I really enjoy my Series X. Just install games and play. No troubleshooting why I'm getting shitty frames like I do on my PC lol.

And I totally agree Random Encounter the xbox controller feels amazing. I don't know what it is but Playstation controllers feel way to light and alien in my hands.
          Last edited by VarinXIV; 02-07-2024, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Selbaek
            The Hero's Legend
            Administrator
            • Jan 2024

I'm really not a fan with how clicky the Dpad is on the Series controllers. The Xbox One controllers are probably perfect for me. That DPad doesn't have an annoying click. It's softer, but still has the same textile feel that the Dpad on the Series controllers have. I don't know why the Series controller's satellite DPad is so much more clicky, but it gets on my nerves after a while.

Comment

• Althena
              The Goddess
              Administrator
              • Jan 2024

Welp. Not what most of us were expecting, but intriguing to me to say the least.

Edited to add: I would also like to say that this honestly tracks with everything I know about how Xbox runs their business, so I don't know why I'm so surprised.

Comment

• Mr Croft
                Valiant
                • Feb 2024

Seems rumors really spread like wildfire and caused alot of panic. Hi fi rush is a great game and I'm curious to see how well it will do on Playstation.

Comment

• Althena
                  The Goddess
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Mr Croft
                  Seems rumors really spread like wildfire and caused alot of panic. Hi fi rush is a great game and I'm curious to see how well it will do on Playstation.
                  I adored Hi fi rush. Such a cute game!

Comment

• Selbaek
                    The Hero's Legend
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2024

I updated the OP with a link to the video of the official podcast discussion where they explain where they're at right now.

I have some real doubts about the "largest technical leap" statement regarding their next gen console. The whole thing was a scripted marketing fluff piece to keep investors and the fans happy - but ultimately, I'm glad they took the time to at least quell some of these predictions-turned-rumors because the fear mongering it did for a lot of Xbox fans was pretty unhealthy.

Comment

• Mr Croft
                      Valiant
                      • Feb 2024

Yea I tend to agree I don't buy into all those buzz words anymore. Also its hard to tell what the casual gamer wants now. I thought series s would have been a holiday slam dunk with its low price point and access to gamepass. People still chose to buy a ps5 or a switch and both of those consoles couldn't be any different even if they tried. Do casual gamers really want a incredibly powerful console?

Comment

• Destian
                        Valiant
                        • Jan 2024

It's funny because, as a former diehard anti-Microsoft but Apple and Nintendo fanboy, I love the current iteration of the Xbox/Windows gaming.

The user interface is fantastic and the party setup for voice chat is so simple and easy to use that I can get my family members into it (including my elderly parents). Game pass is also a hell of a deal and I love that I can play the same games on PC or Xbox.

Comment

Working...