FPGA game preservation (Analogue, MiSTer, SIDI, MARS, etc)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

FPGA game preservation (Analogue, MiSTer, SIDI, MARS, etc)

Software emulation has come a very long way over the years, and today, for the most part, the accuracy of the games are so close to match the muscle memory of having played certain games over and over again, but there is still something to be desired to how things felt "back in the day."

That's where FPGAs come in! With some really smart people, we've gotten a few options towards preserving not only these old games, but the behaviors of original hardware for that authentic experience.

The first truly marketed option would have to be the Analogue devices. Starting with the Analogue NT, its $500 price point was completely lost on me because I didn't know what FPGAs actually did. I thought it was just another clone console like the Retro Duo or FC Twin. Had I known that it was a cartridge-capable simulation of the original hardware and would have been the most accurate representation of the games and their behavior to original hardware at the time, I'd have probably spent the money on one.

I'm glad I didn't, however, because I may not have gotten into my preferred FPGA option, the MiSTer project. Called as such because it's more MiST than MiST itself (the same project on a weaker FPGA board), the creator of MiSTer sought to expand the MiST project when Intel/Terasic brought out an affordable option for an FPGA chip stronger than the one used in MiST. The de10-nano board touts a Cyclone V FPGA chip, which so far as allowed us to receive as-accurate-as-possible cores as late in gaming's history as the N64/PS1/Saturn generation.

FPGA chips are kind of like CPUs, however they are programmable to be written into basically any kind of electronic component you need, and can even be segmented and written to act like the entire circuitry on the board it's emulating. This is basically why they can bring better results with accurately depicting a game the way it felt on original hardware than software emulation, because you can program the chip to work at the same frequencies that original hardware did, as opposed to the set frequencies that CPUs and ARM chips have on PCs and smart phones with software emulation.

The program set for the different consoles are considered as "cores." You load the core, which rewrites the FPGA into the subset of chips for that console's original hardware layout. These cores are written by people with a passion for preservation who have spent a lot of their free time reverse-engineering chips on console hardware, cartridge hardware, and even memory card hardware, to ensure the most authentic experience as possible. They've also take the libery to give options towards enhancing the chips therein, allowing us to see what could have been possible if the console had upgraded versions of the chips for the time.

There are other projects that I'm mostly unfamiliar with. Just with this thread's title alone, SIDI is an FPGA platform that focuses a lot on arcade stuff. It's a slightly lesser capable FPGA chip than MiSTer, and you can find pretty much everything that SIDI can run on MiSTer in terms of gaming, from arcades to consoles, and even older PC architectures (such as a 486 setup to run DOS/Win95 games). MARS is an up-and-coming platform that aims to be able to emulate the hardware all the way up to Atomiswave arcade games (which uses Dreamcast hardware) - but a lot of people have a ton of doubts that this project is going to go anywhere. It's all hearsay for now.

Analogue has been a pretty disappointing company overall, in my opinion, due to their lack of straight answers, constant delays on deliveries and promises, and their customer support is generally unresponsive from what I've seen. I almost bought an Analogue Pocket from them, but I held off due to how I've heard a loud amount of people complain about their business practices. On top of that, the system seems to use a Cyclone V equipvalent for the main FPGA, but implements a secondary, far less capable FPGA chip for developers to actually inject their own cores on. I'm not sure why they locked the main FPGA away, but I'm sure it probably has a lot to do with legal reasons. The Pocket is the only product from them I would consider, because the MiSTer project currently isn't at a point where it can be a decently sized handheld system.

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything but the components for a MiSTer for any FPGA endeavors. It's mostly open sourced, the community is always very active, and new cores always seem to be developed for MiSTer first, before another platform comes in mind. Due to the cost of FPGA chips, you're not going to see cores for much beyond the N64/PS1/Saturn era of game consoles due to the size of the FPGA chips and how much they can hold. But trust me when I say: The games running through FPGA hardware emulation feel so freaken close to how games felt on their original consoles, and it's rejuvenated a lot of interest from me to actually play those old games.

EDIT: Drobotic pointed something out in the paragraph I wrote explaining vaguely what FPGA chips do in regard to retro gaming emulation, which I changed for better clarity.
    Last edited by Selbaek; 03-04-2024, 01:21 PM.
  • Selbaek
    The Hero's Legend
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

This is the video that opened up my eyes to FPGA gaming. It's outdated at this point, but Smoke Monster does a great job of introducing the concept.
    For instance, he mentions getting a mouse to emulate the Super Scope, but these super smart people have found a protocol since this video came out that they call "SNAC" (Serial Native Accessory Converter) that uses a device connected to the MiSTer's I/O port with dongles that have original console ports so you can use an original Super Scope for that authentic experience. You'll need a CRT television in order to use the lightgun, but the fact that it's possible is amazing.

The efforts driven from FPGA gaming derive from the advances made to software emulation and a yearn to better understand the hardware, and in turn the findings and implementations of FPGA emulation has helped push software emulation to mimic the accuracy efforts. There really is no wrong way to go about playing these older games these days, but if you're going to ask me, I'm going to stan FPGA hardware emulation all day.

Comment

• Althena
      The Goddess
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

Drobotic, is this what you were talking about?

Comment

• Drobotic
        • Feb 2024

This exactly. If you're rich, buy all the old systems and play on those. If you have some money and want to be as close to a real console/computer, MiSTer project is what you want. I can't say enough good things about the MiSTer project.

For anyone that is interested, while you can source all the parts yourself and even probably design/implement the addon boards yourself, I recommend you just buy a kit. The actual FPGA board is a little hard to get ahold of so it's often not available. If you're in the US I recommend kits/parts from https://misteraddons.com/, the owner is super active and involved in the community. Speaking of the community, they have a HUGE and very active community on discord (https://discord.com/invite/misterfpga).

If anyone is looking for more specific info, I can try and help you out, let me know.

One clarification to the original post "FPGA chips are kind of like CPUs, however they are programmable to be written into basically any kind of chip you need", it's the entire circuit that the FPGA is programmed to, not just the chips for each system.
        Last edited by Drobotic; 03-04-2024, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Selbaek
          The Hero's Legend
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Drobotic
          One clarification to the original post "FPGA chips are kind of like CPUs, however they are programmable to be written into basically any kind of chip you need", it's the entire circuit that the FPGA is programmed to, not just the chips for each system.
          That is a good point, and I've edited my post to reflect it!

Basically, y'all need to invest in the MiSTer setup because it has the most support of all the FPGA solutions due to its open source nature and its ability to handle systems up through N64/PS1/Saturn.

Comment

• Skunkworks
            Valiant
            • Feb 2024

Great post. I haven't read up the FPGA community for some time. Is there currently a solution for adding a cart slot to a MiSTer? As I recall, the de10-nano didn't have appropriate header pins for the cart and there was an issue with using USB.

I have been resisted building a MiSTer console despite thinking they are awesome. The biggest reason is that I worry I'll have buyer's remorse after what I see next. I feel like the next iteration of FPGA will be half the cost for a more refined experience.

Comment

• Selbaek
              The Hero's Legend
              Administrator
              • Jan 2024

Currently, no. MiSTer does not support cartridges. I don't think the project ever will with the de10-nano.

From what I understand, there are murmurs of two potential boards poised as possible successor to the de10-nano for MiSTer, both using Intel's Agilex 5 FPGA chip:

But this is only hearsay from the community, and nothing official. I wouldn't put any stock on there being a successor until there's actual factual word of the project moving forward to new hardware.

And then there's the MARS project, as I mentioned in the OP. I'm not certain of the chip it's focusing on - and that may not be public information yet - but it's more of an arcade preservation project focus with claims it should be able to fit up to Atomiswave games (think Dreamcast in terms of comparable hardware). It's a lofty claim, and we likely won't see anything official about it for years to come.

In addition, it would seem that the de10-nano has fallen just short of supporting the full aspect of 5th generation gaming. The N64 core development has ended just short of supporting all games, with Conker's Bad Fur Day and Jet Force Gemini stuck in a case of there just not being enough space to fit everything necessary for them to run without issue. The developer is probably one of the smartest guys on the project, so I believe him when he says that it just misses the mark. He's the same guy that got PS1 to work nearly perfectly. There are a few tricks he's performing, utilizing the RAM to handle some components; so the PS1 core isn't exactly cycle accurate - but it's really very good, and for the things it falls short on, you wouldn't really know any better.

Another very smart core developer is still tweaking​ the Saturn core, and that seems to be coming along quite nicely. With it being the first of the three main systems for that generation, and PS1 managing to fit, I have a feeling the Saturn will be just as feature-complete, but I wouldn't complain if it wound up like the N64 and was only mostly complete.

Hang on to your money if you just want to wait and see, but in my opinion, you're going to be waiting to see for a good while, and it's never a poor investment if it's something you feel like you'd benefit from. If you really prefer the option to use a cartridge, the Analogue devices would be where you'd probably want to spend your money. I say go for MiSTer, because there's no need to mess with cartridges, or multiple pieces of hardware (barring controller adapters for OG controllers), or multi-A/V boards to keep said multiple pieces of hardware plugged in and easily swap video sources, or any of that. Just a board that rewrites itself to be the system you want to play at cycle-accurate levels (aside from 5th gen consoles) and ensures you're going to have the closest to original hardware after original hardware itself.

I really don't think the next best thing is going to be half the price. a de10-nano is already subsidized in price because it's the chosen starter board for college classes. Those prices have raised outside of bulk educational purchases but are still affordable compared to comparable boards using the same Cyclone V FPGA chip last I checked. Pre-built MiSTer setups are pricey but come with so much of the extra stuff that helps give feature-rich experiences.

Comment

• Random Encounter
                Administrator
                • Jan 2024

Any of you folks seen this?

Comment

• Selbaek
                  The Hero's Legend
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Random Encounter
                  Any of you folks seen this?

https://www.furygpu.com/
                  Color me intrigued! This sounds like a great way to play classic PC games in a modern setting.

Comment

Working...