Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Destian
    Valiant
    • Jan 2024

Anyone tried XIV on the Xbox yet?

It's up there, just want to see how it runs.
  • Althena
    The Goddess
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

Being that I'm a veteran player, I'm not who they want trying it, so alas, no. 😤

Comment

• Selbaek
      The Hero's Legend
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

It's unfortunately only open for brand new players. I could start a new account just to try it out and see how it plays on Xbox, but then that would be tying that SE account to my Xbox account. I would be locked out of tying my actual XIV account to my Xbox account if I did that. I also don't have Game Pass for Xbox (which will be required to play online for some reason) so I couldn't play it anyway.

Comment

• Althena
        The Goddess
        Administrator
        • Jan 2024

Didn't you buy Game Pass?

(also, it's the same reason you needed an Xbox Live sub when XI for the 360 was a thing)

Comment

• Destian
          Valiant
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Selbaek
          It's unfortunately only open for brand new players. I could start a new account just to try it out and see how it plays on Xbox, but then that would be tying that SE account to my Xbox account. I would be locked out of tying my actual XIV account to my Xbox account if I did that. I also don't have Game Pass for Xbox (which will be required to play online for some reason) so I couldn't play it anyway.
          I think the lowest tier of Xbox live was renamed "gamepass something" so I think that part will be fine, but good point on the account binding issue...

Comment

• Mr Croft
            Valiant
            • Feb 2024

Asked some friends about it since it's more geared for newer players. Seemed to be enjoying it a bit. I constantly tell them once they get through ARR the game gets much better

Comment

• Destian
              Valiant
              • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Mr Croft
              Asked some friends about it since it's more geared for newer players. Seemed to be enjoying it a bit. I constantly tell them once they get through ARR the game gets much better
              Yeah, it's the story slog that keeps me from heartily recommending the game to pretty much anyone.

I'm hoping they'll break the story into "sagas" at some point, where ARR-EW is "The Ascian Saga" and DT onward can be skipped directly to by new players who get one class to 90 for free and can then go back and play the original story while earning exp on their own time.

The distance between new players and their friends who already have the game can't just keep getting longer like it has been.

Comment

• Mr Croft
                Valiant
                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Destian

Yeah, it's the story slog that keeps me from heartily recommending the game to pretty much anyone.

I'm hoping they'll break the story into "sagas" at some point, where ARR-EW is "The Ascian Saga" and DT onward can be skipped directly to by new players who get one class to 90 for free and can then go back and play the original story while earning exp on their own time.

The distance between new players and their friends who already have the game can't just keep getting longer like it has been.
                ARR is incredibly long and slow even with how much they condensed it. Post 2.1 needs the same condensing too. I think they wanna add skips all the way to shadowbringers.

Comment

• Selbaek
                  The Hero's Legend
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Destian
                  The only issue I see is with the original jobs having been locked behind classes, but I'm sure they could make it work somehow. They could just do away with the classes (which I think Yoshi-P has mentioned a time or two?) and consider any and all achievements regarding them legacy achievements like they did with the 1.x achievements. As far as I can recall, the job quests didn't really tie into the class quests in a fashion that would detriment the job quest storylines at all.

Comment

Working...