April 2024 GotM Discussion (Mega Man Legends)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Encounter
    Administrator
    • Jan 2024

GOTM April 2024 GotM Discussion (Mega Man Legends)

The first stream for Mega Man Legends started tonight! It really is cool how well this game has aged in terms of graphics and sound. What's everyone think so far?
  • The Grimace
    Valiant
    • Mar 2024

Still a real classic for the PlayStation. The controls do feel a bit more stiff when you consider how modern designs go, but it works just fine for the level of difficulty the game features.

There's a lot of design elements in the game that make me just think, "boy, they must have had fun making this..." like the music store having music samples you only hear in that store, the can game easter egg, and the connectivity of the ruins across the island.

There are also a lot of little sidequests here and there that you would never find unless you're being a completionist, and it feels really cool to happen upon these secrets even though they generally don't have any tangible rewards.

Comment

• Random Encounter
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

like the music store having music samples you only hear in that store
      This is what I love about games like this and others on the PS1, when devs realized that more storage space didn't necessarily need to go to FMVs but just little details for the hell of it.

Comment

• The Grimace
        Valiant
        • Mar 2024

Had a blast watching MegaMan Legends the past week. Although we beat it in two streams, there's probably content for atleast one more, although it wouldn't be nearly as interesting. MegaMan Legends has a ton of easter eggs.

One of them is if you continue to break vending machines like Selbaek was doing periodically throughout the run, there's a hidden morality system and MegaMan's model colors will gradually turn black. There are other morality choices in the game that contribute to this too, but the vending machines are probably the most reliable.

The painter in Uptown opens up a mini-quest where you can bring her some lipstick and she'll open up the museum in the middle of the area, and you can turn in items like the Ring or Old Book to be displayed. It's a really nice nod.

There are a lot of other little side quests and easter eggs I'd want to relay but can't because I'm going into work, but basically, I really think the game is worth playing still, all these years later. Great experience all around with tons of explorable content, even now.

Comment

• Random Encounter
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

Congratulations to Selbaek, who a) celebrated a birthday yesterday, and b) beat Mega Man Legends 2! We're currently on schedule to deliver a MML post-mortem next Monday, with a possible Thursday stream to tide us over in between. Well done, my dude!

Comment

• Selbaek
            The Hero's Legend
            Administrator
            • Jan 2024

Originally posted by The Grimace
            ...if you continue to break vending machines like Selbaek was doing periodically throughout the run, there's a hidden morality system and MegaMan's model colors will gradually turn black. There are other morality choices in the game that contribute to this too, but the vending machines are probably the most reliable.
            I believe the fastest ways to turn black are to destroy the news ship when the Mayor's building is being attacked, or to steal from a shop.

Originally posted by Random Encounter
            Congratulations to Selbaek, who a) celebrated a birthday yesterday, and b) beat Mega Man Legends 2! We're currently on schedule to deliver a MML post-mortem next Monday, with a possible Thursday stream to tide us over in between. Well done, my dude!
            Thanks! I'm really happy to have gone through those games. They still bring me joy to this day, even with the retro clunk. Hopefully those of you who never really played these games have a better understanding of why the fans have been so bent out of shape since the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3 and how Capcom handled that whole affair.

What did everyone think about these games?

Comment

• Random Encounter
              Administrator
              • Jan 2024

MML2 makes the first feel almost like a demo, but that said I enjoyed watching them both. I plan on playing some before the post-mortem so I can better appreciate the control scheme.

Comment

Working...