X
Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Grimace
    Valiant
    • Mar 2024

I still don't have much experience with VR, but I do want to check out Alyx sometime. My girlfriend plays lots of Beat Saber. I could borrow her headset to check out VR Chat, which I really want to fiddle with, but I don't want to get attached to any VR experiences until I can eventually get a headset for myself.

At first, I thought VR had a chance of being a shortlived gimmick when everyone and their brother began to make their own takes on the technology. It has really surprised me how much it has evolved in the last ten years.

Comment

• Mr Croft
      Valiant
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by The Grimace
      I still don't have much experience with VR, but I do want to check out Alyx sometime. My girlfriend plays lots of Beat Saber. I could borrow her headset to check out VR Chat, which I really want to fiddle with, but I don't want to get attached to any VR experiences until I can eventually get a headset for myself.

At first, I thought VR had a chance of being a shortlived gimmick when everyone and their brother began to make their own takes on the technology. It has really surprised me how much it has evolved in the last ten years.
      Yes, I thought something similar when I first saw it. I had the original psvr, and I couldn't stand it at all. I gave Quest 2 a shot when it was on sale, and I really got into it. Great games like the original Re4 and into the radius really sold me on it. Now I've been using my quest 3 with my pc, and the experience is even better.

Comment

• Kustom
        • Jan 2024

Found a nice emulator for the phone that runs games off zip files. Been playing through Golden Sun for the first time. Never owned a game boy other then the OG brick so this is neat.

Comment

• Mr Croft
          Valiant
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Kustom
          Found a nice emulator for the phone that runs games off zip files. Been playing through Golden Sun for the first time. Never owned a game boy other then the OG brick so this is neat.
          Easily in my top 5 of RPGs. I adore that game

Comment

• The Grimace
            Valiant
            • Mar 2024

Golden Sun 1&2 are great and I have a lot of good memories playing the first in bed at night on my GBASP.

Comment

• Kustom
              • Jan 2024

Golden Sun 1&2 are great and I have a lot of good memories playing the first in bed at night on my GBASP.
              Yeah I'm thinking I'll roll right into the second as it appears to be a direct sequel.

Comment

• The Grimace
                Valiant
                • Mar 2024

I have opinions on the Lost Age. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but something negligible for most people irked me. It's sort of a soft spoiler so I'm staying silent for now.

Comment

• Kustom
                  • Jan 2024

I have opinions on the Lost Age. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but something negligible for most people irked me. It's sort of a soft spoiler so I'm staying silent for now.
                  Finishing up the first I honestly found the characters and story to be pretty miserable and unremarkable. Dialogue is pretty saturated for how little goes on in the duration of the game. The gameplay and puzzles were the complete opposite. Interesting character customization and good dungeon design. I'll probably knock some other titles out before I try the second Golden Sun.

Comment

• The Grimace
                    Valiant
                    • Mar 2024

Got a nice Idle Game called "Chillpulse."

Basically like a pixelated Lo-Fi Girl. Nice tracks they'll apparently be updating periodically, options for different backdrops, a little point system for small bonuses. Mostly I love it just to put on in the background when I want to relax.

Comment

• Selbaek
                      The Hero's Legend
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2024

Interesting. What's the main goal of the game? Are there tasks or anything to be done? Is it just earning points and levels for having the app open playing music?

Comment

• The Grimace
                        Valiant
                        • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Selbaek

Interesting. What's the main goal of the game? Are there tasks or anything to be done? Is it just earning points and levels for having the app open playing music?
                        The main goal is definitely to provide a relaxing visual atmosphere. Studying/Focusing is started in the upper right corner and generally goes for 20 minutes. You get experience as you study (top left corner) and that gradually increases how many backdrops you have access to. You get the basic one you see here, one in a cyberpunk atmosphere, ancient China, and lastly a 1960's pub. Each area has different drinks you can mix, which raises how much experience you get while studying. You can also buy fish and over time, they'll "drop" coins that can be used to buy visual accessories.

it's a very simple and still fairly barebones program, but it's everything I really need for a chill background game. I think it cost about $5.

Comment

• Selbaek
                          The Hero's Legend
                          Administrator
                          • Jan 2024

That's pretty sweet. I don't know if it's the kind of app for me, but there's clearly an audience for it!

On the mobile front, I mainly just play Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis. The battles basically play themselves (as an option. You can battle manually, too), but I enjoy seeing how well they do with the loadouts I give them. The game simulates the original game's gameplay in terms of story, exploration and graphics, and does this for every FF7 title it has. Currently it only has the OG game, Crisis Core, and a new story called The First SOLDIER - but they plan to have every title in the compilation of FF7 media as a playable game as time goes on - including Advent Children, the novellas between, and Before Crisis (the mobile-only, Japan-only prequel to Crisis Core).

I've recently been going through Tunic for my first time. I thought this game looked neat back when it was revealed, but just never got around to it until now. It scratches an itch for that old-school Zelda feel. There is absolutely no hand-holding in this game. You're just meant to explore and figure things out, and there's a decent little mystery behind the entire place. I love that it just allows the player to put context clues together so that they come up with their own conclusions instead of writing it out plainly as a direct narrative. It's been a lot of fun!

Comment

• Althena
                            The Goddess
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2024

Basically like a pixelated Lo-Fi Girl. Nice tracks they'll apparently be updating periodically, options for different backdrops, a little point system for small bonuses. Mostly I love it just to put on in the background when I want to relax.
                            Been playing this all day during my Saturday shift. Keeping me in a good mood, and it's so chill. Thanks for recommending this!

Comment

• Mr Croft
                              Valiant
                              • Feb 2024

Replaying RE8 on PC with some mods now. I'm enjoying the game much more this time around

Comment

• The Grimace
                                Valiant
                                • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Selbaek
                                That's pretty sweet. I don't know if it's the kind of app for me, but there's clearly an audience for it!

On the mobile front, I mainly just play Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis. The battles basically play themselves (as an option. You can battle manually, too), but I enjoy seeing how well they do with the loadouts I give them. The game simulates the original game's gameplay in terms of story, exploration and graphics, and does this for every FF7 title it has. Currently it only has the OG game, Crisis Core, and a new story called The First SOLDIER - but they plan to have every title in the compilation of FF7 media as a playable game as time goes on - including Advent Children, the novellas between, and Before Crisis (the mobile-only, Japan-only prequel to Crisis Core).
                                I tried playing Ever Crisis a little when it first came to Steam. I love the aesthetic and to finally have a better translation of FFVII script points. The game doesn't run well at all on my laptop, so I hope to try it out again when I get something more powerful. I will say that the monetization did seem particularly overbearing though...

There are a lot of really cool costumes they have been developed for the game as gacha prizes. I hope Square-Enix considers adding these costumes to the final chapter of Final Fantasy VII Remake, because there are a tremendous amount of people who shy away from mobile games. The designs are so nice it would be a shame to have them only be available in Ever Crisis if they could reasonably upscale the textures and cloth effects to work with the console and PC releases.

Fashion is huge in games, even offline games, and SE would do good to remember this! Of course, I'm no coder and there may be internal politics preventing dev files from being shared between the games, though it's the same company umbrella. I imagine these are very separate teams working on Ever Crisis and Remake/Rebirth with only limited input between Hamaguchi, Nomura, and Kitase. Who knows.

Comment

Working...