Collapse

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Grimace
    Valiant
    • Mar 2024

What are you playing?

I just finished Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth and gradually intend to replay through the game on Hard mode because I am obsessed with getting achievements and trophies for games I enjoy.

Last month I replayed Chrono Cross for the first time in ten years. Chrono Cross is frustrating because for every good thing in the game, there's something bad to counteract. I still love the game a lot, but certain things- the battle system, especially- are definitely not highlights of the game.

I don't think there are any major games I'm looking forward to right now (aside from Dawntrail), and... Y'know, that's fine. 2023 was great for games and 2024 is already off to a strong start. There's plenty on the backlog to get through for me.
  • Skunkworks
    Valiant
    • Feb 2024

I'm trying to play through NES puzzle games. I'm curious to know everyone's favorite (so I don't miss any great ones). I doubt I will finish any, but I would like to make sure I have gotten a feel for all of them.

Comment

• Althena
      The Goddess
      Administrator
      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Skunkworks
      I'm trying to play through NES puzzle games. I'm curious to know everyone's favorite (so I don't miss any great ones). I doubt I will finish any, but I would like to make sure I have gotten a feel for all of them.
      I really liked Adventures of Lolo, and have fond memories of playing Kickle Cubicle at NinjaMasterGara's house.

Comment

• Kustom
        • Jan 2024

Picked up FFX (HD Remaster) on the latest steam sale. Gonna blast through that and probably get back to finishing Tears of the kingdom. Been so busy lately.

Comment

• Random Encounter
          Administrator
          • Jan 2024

Great thread! I am currently playing Sailing Era, which is heavily inspired by the Uncharted Waters games. I have enjoyed it enough to put over 100 hours in at this point, but it's a weird game that scratches an itch for me but would be hard to recommend to others. It is full of menu jank and iffy translation issues. But it is full of buxom barmaids, so it has that going for it!

Comment

• Wandervox
            Valiant
            • Feb 2024

Bulk Slash, a Saturn game from '97, got an English translation patch a few years back. Upon discovering that, I figured I'd give it a go. It's satisfying in a weird way I can't quite put a finger on, even if the controls are far from optimal. The patch apparently also provides compatibility with the old twin stick controller which, sadly, I do not own (but have always lusted after), which would probably make for an amazing experience. Either way, I definitely recommend it if you ever find yourself wondering what it might be like if Virtual On and Star Fox had a productive tryst, in a world existing within Gundam continuity.

Originally posted by Skunkworks
            I'm a basic bitch, content with Tetris, Puyo Puyo, and Dr. Mario, though I can also recommend Quarth as something in a similar vein with an odd twist.

Comment

• The Grimace
              Valiant
              • Mar 2024

Not exactly a puzzle game, but I just played through this NES-like game. Good Kirby-like gameplay for an hour for less than a dollar. It's pretty great in that each stage has a new gimmick, but nothing ever overstayed its welcome.
              A Simple and Bite-sized retro 2D Platformer about a frog on another side-scrolling adventure

Comment

• Destian
                Valiant
                • Jan 2024

Playing Deep Rock Galactic during downtime at work, usually.

Comment

• Ryonite
                  Valiant
                  • Jan 2024

Actually finishing rdr2, as I couldnt finish it after the ending was spoiled.

Edit: Also Roboquest, and For the King 1.

Comment

• Sarthis
                    • Jan 2024

I just finished Tales of Arise, and oh boy was it one of the most "Tales of" games I've played lol Was good, but I think I should have spread it out more than just playing it straight for as long as I did... The repetition of story beats from cinematic, to then the same things being iterated in multiple conversation prompts over the next 10-20 minutes, and then also reiterated in the next cutscene or at the next camp got to be a bit much, but it is also intended for younger audiences so I understand... Just wish there was a "I can remember things from 10 minutes ago" difficulty choice lol.
                    Other than that, still doing the FFXIV stuff, club stuff and whatnot, playing Total War:Warhammer 3 a decent amount, and am sucked back into Stardew Valley with the new update HARD. So many things got fleshed out in 1.6 I'm loving it even more, and I already had nearly 200 hours in the game before.

Comment

• Ryonite
                      Valiant
                      • Jan 2024

Record of Lodoss War Deedlit in wonderlabyrinth is super good.

A 2D Metroidvania-style game developed under the supervision of Ryo Mizuno, depicting the story of Deedlit and the events leading up to Record of Lodoss War: Diadem of the Covenant. Use a variety of weapons and spirit powers to unravel the mystery of the labyrinth.

Comment

• Destian
                        Valiant
                        • Jan 2024

Ah, yeah, need to delve into Stardew again at some point, for sure...

Comment

• The Grimace
                          Valiant
                          • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Ryonite
                          Record of Lodoss War Deedlit in wonderlabyrinth is super good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...der_Labyrinth/
                          Ah man, I got that when it was in Early Access but completely forgot to finish it when it was fully released. Gotta add that to the list.
                          Last edited by Althena; 04-06-2024, 10:01 AM. Reason: Providing context after moving posts.

Comment

• The Grimace
                            Valiant
                            • Mar 2024

I haven't played Stardew Valley in some time, and I know ConcernedApe has added tons of stuff into the game since I last picked it up. Farming games aren't generally my thing, but the town atmosphere in the game is definitely something I still highly appreciate.

I've still never played a "Tales of" game. I remember seeing lots of advertisements for Arise when it released, but the whole series is generally foreign to me. I'd be curious to learn more, but when it comes to RPGs that often take 80+ hours to complete, I hesitate to begin unless I know I'm absolutely gonna like it.

Right now, I'm halfway through Alwa's Awakening. I've died atleast 60 times so far, but I'm making progress. It's hard to describe the gameplay... Very Twitch-reflex sensitive, with quite a few puzzle elements. The devs definitely succeeded in making it feel like a classic difficult NES title.

Use your magic staff and progress through a large interconnected world where you'll solve puzzles, fight enemies and defeat bosses in order to help free the land of Alwa. Explore and uncover the secrets by using your platforming skills in this challenging and charming 8-bit adventure game.

Comment

• Mr Croft
                              Valiant
                              • Feb 2024

I have been bouncing around a few games right now. On this new pc its been cyberpunk 2077, last epoch and predessor. On VR I'm still playing ghosts of tabor the most since I just wrapped up half life Alyx. Really looking forward to the contractors br on VR.

Comment

Working...